Remove the glassed-in board? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2006, 09:38 AM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
After an abscence of way too long, I have been "re-inspired" to once again tackle my egg remodel. It may take a little time to refamiliarize myself with the forums and how to use them. Please bear with me. I see here that a couple of you have removed the glassed-in board used for the table support at the rear of your Scamps. I plan to remove same but for a different reason. I am going to have a permanent bed setup and won't need that board. Did either of you replace it? Anyone know of a problem not having it? Is it neccesary for spare tire support? Thanks a bunch.
Kristi Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 03:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 1992 13 ft Scamp
We have removed and replaced said board due to rot issues. The spare tire support is not connected to the table support board in any way but the way the board is fiberglassed to the shell it could provide some additional rigidity to the rear area. I don't really know if it is significant or not. I don"t know your plans in detail but removal of the board is a lot of work by the time the rat fur is opened up, the board removed, the fiberglass mounting edges ground smooth, and the reflectix & rat fur glued back in place. If the board is otherwise sound, why not just remove all the table hardware and leave the board in case you change your mind in the future? That said, the job certainly is do-able.

There are pictures of our whole remodel posted on Yahoo Sacmpers Group in the photos section under Dave and Diane's project scamp.

Dave and Diane
DianeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 03:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I have an oldy-but-goody Scamp and there isn't a board for the table. Instead it works on a hinge system that's riveted through the body.

BUT, even though you want a full-time bed and if the board in question isn't in the way when sleeping (not poking you in the back), I'd be inclined to leave it. If for no other reason than resell purposes. A future buyer may prefer the table setup. Perhaps you can turn that board into a shelf??

That said, it's your trailer and you should do what makes you happiest
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:12 PM   #4

Quote:
I have an oldy-but-goody Scamp and there isn't a board for the table. Instead it works on a hinge system that's riveted through the body.

BUT, even though you want a full-time bed and if the board in question isn't in the way when sleeping (not poking you in the back), I'd be inclined to leave it. If for no other reason than resell purposes. A future buyer may prefer the table setup. Perhaps you can turn that board into a shelf??

That said, it's your trailer and you should do what makes you happiest
Thanks for the advice. Some of the "old-timers", oh my goodness, did I really say that? may remember me. I am the lunatic who bought a perfectly good, fully functioning egg and gutted it. Stripped it down to nothing but the frame and fiberglass shell. Out with the windows. Off with the door. Rat fur-gone. (that was fun). Built-ins? who needs 'em? appliances? Hah! I did keep the windows and the door. Sorry, everything else, either given away, thrown away or sold. No wonder I needed a year or so off to contemplate the enormity of the task at hand. I was totally overwhelmed by the fiberglass repair necessary to fill in the vent holes from frig, stove, furnace.....etc. everyone said it couldn't be done. Well, I have done it (the fiberglassing) with my own two little paws and only time and the miles will tell if it holds up. Thanks again.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:03 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I built a "permanent" single bunk across the back of my 91S13 and actually used the board for a couple of my fasteners -- If I or a future owner decide to restore it to the original configuration, I will just need a table top and the hinge hardware -- If it's not rotten, I wouldn't mess with it -- It might have a purpose (spare tire strength) and it might have a future.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:08 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Some of the "old-timers", oh my goodness, did I really say that? may remember me.
Now I remember you Kristi...the name didn't wring a bell. You were the one that was reconfiguring the trailer for life on the beach in Mexico! hummmm, did that work out?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Now I remember you Kristi...the name didn't wring a bell. You were the one that was reconfiguring the trailer for life on the beach in Mexico! hummmm, did that work out?
Guilty. I bought the Scamp in the spring of '04 and spent the summer and fall gutting it. Spent that winter (I flew) in a beach shack on the Mexican Carribean about 50 miles south of Cancun. I didn't do much work on the "Eggscapist" in summer of '05. The boatguy who was going to do the FG repair cheap decided to retire, instead. I was so overwhelmed by the FG repair process that I pretty much just sat and stared at the egg and freaked out. There were 2 large vent cover holes, on one side from the frig and furance and the other side, the AC.
After spending last winter on the beach again I returned with a new prespective that got me going on the egg, again. I finally realized I had nothing to lose, the egg was worthless the way it was. Now the fiberglassing is almost finished and I see some of the floor is bad. Yikes, I'm freaked out again, but that'a another thread, right, Donna? Now, where's my saw?
Old 09-21-2006, 01:28 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
kristy, i just finished 'revamping' this shelf on my boler. it wasn't rotten, but the fg covering was beat up. i have a permanent bed too. i wondered if i should remove it, but then decided it was very handy for my coffee cup, reading glasses and other small items while lounging in bed. i removed the covering and sanded it down and sanded down the shelf too. then i used west epoxy resin to saturate the shelf and then west resin with microlite filler to fill all the ugly screw holes in the cover where the table had been attached. sanded that all down and painted the cover with brightside and reattached it, this time with just the three bolts. i think it looks really good and discounting dry times, i probably spent only an hour on it; i'm selling the trailer and wanted the next owner to have the option of moving the table back if desired.
Click image for larger version

Name:	shelf.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	4950
gillian s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:32 PM   #9
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Hey, Kristi! I remember you, too. I've wondered several times if you ever got the Scamp down to Mexico. Thanks for the update!

How did your area fare last year when Wilma blew through? (I remember there was a lots of rain in that part of Mexico while we here in The U.S. were overwhelmed with the messes made by Wilma's sisters, Katrina and Rita.)

Donna. She was originally "K Warner" - I think. That's why the Kristi didn't ring your bell!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:13 PM   #10

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Quote:
Hey, Kristi! I remember you, too. I've wondered several times if you ever got the Scamp down to Mexico. Thanks for the update!

How did your area fare last year when Wilma blew through? (I remember there was a lots of rain in that part of Mexico while we here in The U.S. were overwhelmed with the messes made by Wilma's sisters, Katrina and Rita.)

Donna. She was originally "K Warner" - I think. That's why the Kristi didn't ring your bell!
Hey don't forget that Wilma hit South Florida and made quite a mess of the Everglades, just too rural to make the the headlines but it was toughon those country folk they forcast it as a Catagory 1 and it came through as a 3 with terrible flooding, even the fish were begging for air
Old 09-21-2006, 08:57 PM   #11

[quote]kristy, i just finished 'revamping' this shelf on my boler. it wasn't rotten, but the fg covering was beat up. i have a permanent bed too. i wondered if i should remove it, but then decided it was very handy for my coffee cup, reading glasses and other small items while lounging in bed. i removed the covering and sanded it down and sanded down the shelf too. then i used west epoxy resin to saturate the shelf and then west resin with microlite filler to fill all the ugly screw holes in the cover where the table had been attached. sanded that all down and painted the cover with brightside and reattached it, this time with just the three bolts. i think it looks really good and discounting dry times, i probably spent only an hour on it; i'm selling the trailer and wanted the next owner to have the option of moving the table back if desired.
Attachment 4950

WOW! that is some nice work!! I will re-think this. thank you!
Old 09-22-2006, 08:25 AM   #12

Quote:

Part of the reason I lost interest in my egg was because I had found a beach shack to rent for $150 US a month, 100 yards from the water, no less. I stayed there the winter of "04-05. The surge from Emily knocked it sideways and Wilma did the rest. It was a pile of sticks and palm leaves, so I tented last winter, Jan thru April. I returned to MA last spring with renewed enthusiasm for "the Eggscapist". And it rained, and rained, and rai......limiting my work on my egg. It is amazing to me that a person who thinks nothing of living on the beach in Mexico for 4 months in a tent (me), can be paralized with fear at the prospect of learning to fiberglass!! Ain't we humans funny beings?
Old 09-22-2006, 03:57 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Welcome back Kristi! I was wondering where you went off to?

I covered the glassed in board in the front of my Boler with wood and made a shelf. I had to shim it to level because the glassed in board was not level front to back.
Attached Thumbnails
websize_front_shelf.JPG  
Old 09-22-2006, 08:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Welcome back Kristi! I was wondering where you went off to?

I covered the glassed in board in the front of my Boler with wood and made a shelf. I had to shim it to level because the glassed in board was not level front to back.
Verry nice also. Sometimes I get so single visioned, I lose the ability to see the possibilities. After all this time, I had forgotten how very, very encouraging and supportive this group can be. I never would have had the courage to demo my egg, if I had not run across this web site in the beginning. As a matter of fact, I think I found my egg for sale here. In the Bronx, if you can believe that!! Now if I can figure out how to do those little smiliy guys. do we have a spell check here?