REMOVING a DuoTherm gravity furnace - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
I am working at removing the DuoTherm gravity furnace (#655810-002) from my 1978 Trillium. It is non-functioning and I can't get parts. I searched 31 pages of furnace related threads, but found no detailed discussions of how to remove this (or any) furnace. I have removed all mounting screws (4) that I could find, and the furnace barely wiggles. I suspect "rust-weld" of the furnace exhaust pipe. Earlier I removed the fridge, so I have access from the right to behind the furnace. I'm about to take a reciprocating saw to the exhaust pipe, but will wait to see if anyone out there can tell me about their adventures in removing this or a similar furnace. Anybody?

MarvonW
Old 06-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Marv

I think you called it correctly.
I imagine the thing is stuck to the exhaust pipe.
It was on mine.

Don't forget the gas line too!

Whack it!( with the Sawzall of course)

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
I am working at removing the DuoTherm gravity furnace (#655810-002) from my 1978 Trillium. It is non-functioning and I can't get parts.
Out of curiosity, any idea what might be broken?
Old 06-05-2009, 01:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
Marv

I think you called it correctly.
I imagine the thing is stuck to the exhaust pipe.
It was on mine.

Don't forget the gas line too!

Whack it!( with the Sawzall of course)

Ed
Thanks for the encouragement, Ed.
The furnace is out! It was a bit of a struggle getting at it with the sawsall. Took me two attempts to find a location that I could work the saw all the way through and around. But, once I cut through the exhaust pipes, the furnace just pulled right out (I had undone the gas line much earlier). So, except for a mangled exhaust, I now have available a used, non-working Duo Therm gravity furnace.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
What do you want for the furnace?

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:57 PM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
I just did the same a month ago. The venting is two concentric pipes that overlap perhaps a foot. The hood on the exhaust will not pull through the opening. As you said, the two vent pipes are probably rusted together but can be broken free with some effort. Penetrating oil, hammer a flat screw driver into the end of the inner pipe. Or if like me you lack patientce, cut off the hood. I actually got the furnace working again just by cleaning up the electrical contacts and thermocouple and cycling the valve with a battery. I also cleaned the gas lines (you will have to cap yours if the furnace is removed)
Brian Gibbon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace