Removing a large vent and closing up the hole it left. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-07-2008, 11:24 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I would like to know if it is possible to remove the vent on this fiberglass boler, and fill it in and have it look decent?
Attached Images

Sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:47 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Anything is possible given enough time/effort and money. Question, what's the vent FOR? It must be there for a purpose, unless that purpose no longer exists.

I see the biggest problem in matching the paint. Do you have the paint code? If the vent (or something similar must remain), you may be able to just paint the vent the same color as the trailer... it should then pretty much disappear.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:53 AM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
from peg ( ) with 'no r/v type' listed!!!

If you need to fill the void from a deleted roof air vent, that should be easily enough accomplished by a person experienced in fiberglass repair seeing as how the Boler (IF in fact thats a pic of the trailer you're working on??) has a fairly flat roof! The hard part might be to find matching liner for the roof inside the Egg Shell. The visual part from the outside should be also a non issue, but something to fill the gap in the headliner COULD be an issue. (...suggest maybe glueing up a mirror or a picture of the sky there?? )

I see you seem to have a longer than usual rail for your awning on the Boler.

Is the awning a 7' or 8' one?
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:39 AM   #4

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I've seen frosted skylights in trailer bathrooms that would be an interesting replacement. I has also thinking about swapping one of the 2-9inch vents in my TM-14 for a solar exhaust fan... would be great in hot weather and never drain the battery.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
All these replies are good, I like the skylight idea its simple, I had not thought of that one...The trick to large hole replacement repair is a plastic sheet you lay out on a flat surface like a table, this type of plastic sheet is sold for this purpose, you lay out the fiberglass to the number of layers needed wetting between the layers resin/hardner as you lay up the fiberglass on the plastic...When cured you peel the plastic off, put the piece to the hole and draw the square to fill it, make sure you have enough fiberglass to cut a second square again only larger than the hole this time... put the smaller square on top of the larger, using epoxy products put these patch forms in place and a prop to the floor holding it until it sets...sanding and sealing the patch comes next...there are do it your self dvds I can suggest that shows the whole process...its the same as boat hull repair. The finish coats are another process altogether, being familiar with the products well first will make the hole go poof...But the cost of doing it yourself often is as much as having it done by a shop...less fun for me...but about the same in hard earned cash.

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Howdy, is the question about the large side vent and not the roof vent? ...Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Sandra,
Might that large vent be intended as an emergency exit? Some travel trailers have them located on the ceiling. It wouldn't be advisable to remove it if that is the case.

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
If you are asking about the vent on the side with louvers, beside the door and above the wheel well. The vent is not typical. From the size and position of that vent, I'd guess that someone used to set a household window air conditioner in the closet on warm days to cool the trailer.

I'd suggest just installing an appropriate sized baggage hatch in it place.

Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:43 AM   #9

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Quote:
Howdy, is the question about the large side vent and not the roof vent? ...Benny

By George Benny AND Roy I do believe you are right!! Re-reading the original post and eyeballing the pic, it seems that the offending louvered vent might just be the culprit!! I'm now wondering just what that vent is hiding inside, an A/C unit?????

That fiberglass repair should still be an easy fix for those experienced with 'glass work and the idea on another 'hatch' might be an easier/cheaper fix!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:11 AM   #10

Registry
now that I see it... you may be right. and a marine hatch would be a simple fix... also in a very convenient spot. could also get one of those outdoor entertainment centers... AM/FM/MP3 with integrated speakers. got me thinking now!
Attached Thumbnails
item341_1.jpg  
Old 09-11-2008, 07:19 AM   #11

Trailer: Boler 1984
Wow Scott, Who's campsite are you aiming that at??
Sandra, If you cover a section near the vent with plastic or wax paper, then you can make a moulding of the curved side of the trailer and then insert it into the hole and glass it into place.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:32 AM   #12

Registry
At a cost almost $300... I don't think I'll be going this route any time soon. so you're safe for now James.
muahahaha...

Quote:
Wow Scott, Who's campsite are you aiming that at??
Sandra, If you cover a section near the vent with plastic or wax paper, then you can make a moulding of the curved side of the trailer and then insert it into the hole and glass it into place.