Removing carpet glue from ensolite, or covering it up. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2015, 08:25 AM   #1

Name: Anna
Trailer: 1978 17' Boler
Alberta
Removing carpet glue from ensolite, or covering it up.

Having had tried to remove carpet glue from wood, I know this is not a simple task and that involved a heat gun and scraper, neither of which I suspect are approved tools to use with ensolite.

Has anyone has this problem? Did you end up removing the glue or covering it up? I would be all over covering it up but I don't want to cause even more problems. Does anyone here have any tips or clever ideas? I have two tiny kids and as much as I'd love to take the time to peel the glue off by hand I do not have an extra 12+ hrs I think it would take me. HELP!
summersucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:41 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I'm thinking some solvent to dissolve the glue. The white on Ensolite is vinyl. I found this compatibility chart. I think it is for gloves, but applies here as well:
http://www.atlanticsafetyproducts.co.../CHEMCHART.pdf
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:04 AM   #3

Alberta
Thank you! I'll do some research into solvents, that link is going to come in handy.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:29 AM   #4

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Hi, welcome. Having looked at your inside pictures I was wondering if you could just cover it with some sort of baseboard? Maybe that commercial vinyl type or something interesting.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:01 AM   #5

Alberta
Thank you! I took a couple of pics. I am not sure baseboard would be wide enough, though I suppose I could do a few 'stripes' and that might actually look super cool. Do you think the self adhesive would be sticky enough? Do you think it would stick to my messed up texture?

Here's my sad attempt to 'cover' it up with throw cushions, haha. Obviously didn't take into account that they don't stick straight up in the air so 22" isn't actually 22". But hey, it made things more cozy in there!

and here is what I'm dealing with. You can see that the material under the glue is in beautiful shape.

I'm toying with the idea of velcroing fabric all around which would leave us access to just take the stuff off by hand. I could rip it off and throw it in the wash if it got really dirty. The glue comes off, it would just take a million years to do by hand. I'm worried about the time it would take with solvents as well and need a solution now because it's really the only part of the inside that I think looks awful. I know, it's cosmetic, but that's important to me
Old 04-27-2015, 01:02 PM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: boler
Ontario
cover up

have you considered covering it with another product like a hull liner. Very nice stuff to work with and with a little spray adhesive, it would likely cover it up rather nicely. check my album to see what i'm talking about.
slimmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:40 PM   #7

Alberta
I haven't heard of it! It looks so nice on your Boler, what did you use as trim? How does it clean up? I'm just picturing little spaghetti sauce covered hands on that, would it wipe off? As far as the spray adhesive you used, anything special? or would anything do?
Old 04-27-2015, 03:19 PM   #8

Ontario
Id hope no spaghetti hands get on that. That won't come out. The upper is actually marine headliner. Lower is hull liner carpet. There is lots of different styles on this site. I got my stuff here.

Georgian Bay Ontario Canada - Sunbrella Boat Tops, Canvas Covers, Custom Biminis, Marine Upholstery, Boat Fabrics & Carpeting - JT's Top Shop

Look around and check out the headliners and hull liners. I'm sure you'll be able to find some vinyl covering that would suit your purpose. I wanted a custom look and there is no children involved or kitchen in this little Boler of mine. It's strictly for sleeping.. The spray was supper 77 by 3M.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:25 PM   #9

Ontario
I got the trim from Home Depot. It's really for 1/8" hardboard so you can but two pieces together and it'll look nice. I glued it on then used a putty knife to tuck the material into it.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:22 PM   #10

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
I bet you that GOO GONE will get that off. You put it on and let it sit just a few seconds or maybe a minute and it comes right off. You don't even have to scrub it. It's some AWESOME stuff!!! I use it on those old stickers they put on things to sale to get the goo off once I get the paper sticker off. GOOD stuff! I used it the other day on our camper to get the tar off the front of it from the tires slinging it on the camper. WONNNNNDERFUL stuff! I noticed Walmart had it in some spray bottles but it looked like that was to take paint off with. I wasn't sure about it since mine always came in like a little can. I'm out and need some more. I KEEP the stuff on hand.
Gardnpondr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:40 PM   #11

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
The question is do you have the time/energy to tackle this now with 2 young children. If yes I would suggest either using the pillows or making a one inch thick by how ever tall "bumper" pad that you can either lean in place or make tall enough to slide behind the cushions, and use that to cover it when you are not working on it. (We actually have a pad like that as my husband finds the wall can get cold at night. I just sliced up an old camping foam and covered it in fabric) or you could find an old yoga mat and put that around the wall for now.
If you do not have time, then I would suggest talking with someone in the upholstery field about gluing a section of vinyl onto the area and making it look good and tackle it at a later date. Good luck. Have fun. Remember this is your space so there is no right or wrong, and with young children durability is your goal.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:26 PM   #12

Name: Tom
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
try a product called goo-be-gone, (rona , maybe Walmart ) , I use it to remove the glue left on after taking off labels .
caderider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:00 PM   #13

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by caderider1 View Post
try a product called goo-be-gone, (rona , maybe Walmart ) , I use it to remove the glue left on after taking off labels .

yep this is what I was referring to a couple post up.
Gardnpondr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:08 AM   #14

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Claire View Post
The question is do you have the time/energy to tackle this now with 2 young children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Claire View Post
Good luck. Have fun. Remember this is your space so there is no right or wrong, and with young children durability is your goal.
Just what I needed, thank you! I think you nailed it, that's the question and the answer is no. I'd rather spend that time/energy on other things right now. 4 years ago I would have done it right but I think I just need to do something quick that will make it nice and comfortable now. I like your vinyl idea. I'm going to check out the big fabric store and see if there's anything I like. I can take a look at curtain fabric as well since ours are a little wonky

thanks for all the advice everyone!
Old 05-04-2015, 01:00 PM   #15

Alberta
I thought I'd update in case this helps anyone. A floor installer I know suggested mineral spirits, he said he's used it lots on carpet glue on vinyl. It took me about an hour to get rid of it and it's done a really great job. It wasn't super easy and I wish I'd brought better tools with me (like a spray bottle and brush). Now I just have to get the rest of it cleaned up. Any recommendations? I used a bit of bleach in water before for the rest of it, but I wonder if anything else works better?

pic

Tags
vin