Removing carpet glued to floor?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #1

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Removing carpet glued to floor??

Not sure if this was the previous owner, or the factory, but the tan carpet in my 2001 Scamp is glued to the plywood floor in places. I've already pulled up the carpet under the bed/dinnette and there are significantly large patches where the foam insulation/backing bonded to the the carpet has left behind significant amounts of foam glued to the the plywood. I have some Allure ordered and will be replacing the carpet, but I want it to lay flat on the plywood without bumpy foam bits under it?

Is there some secret to getting that off there? A solvent that won't stink forever? An abrasive that won't make a mess?
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I would be careful with solvents, only cause your dealing with plywood.........

I tore out the carpet in our Casita. What a chore! You would have thought they were trying to prevent a theft of carpet. Glued all over....... With the Casita it's attached to fiberglass with this rubber stuff on top of it. Anyway, the only suggestion I have would be to scrape, scrape, scarpe!!!!

I guess you could try asking where you purchased your Alllure from if they have any suggestions. But I would be leary of using any solvent on plywood.

Get your scraping on!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #3

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I suggest a dremel tool with a scraping attachment. If that exists. Surely something like that exists?
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I would try a heat gun/hair dryer to soften the glue and a putty knife. Then a sander to get the residue. Watch the sander near your fiberglass. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #5

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
When we pulled up the carpeting in our Scamp Mr. 2yax used a Harbor Freight Multi-tool with the scraper blade on it and then went over it with the sanding blade attached. It made a swift neat job that was otherwise entirely messy. (face mask required...should have worn one when we pulled up the dust laden carpet to begin with...ugh.)

Happy Scamping

Josie

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:14 AM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: Boler 1700
Alberta
Same thing in my Boler. I bought a paint roller scraper. It is solid steel and doesn't flex. I used a file to sharpen it a LITTLE. You don't want it too sharp or it will just cut into the flooring. Dust mask for sure. Once it was done, I put down a thin rubber underlay tacked down with carpet tape, and then carpet, also with carpet tape. Nice warm floor now.
Fiberglass Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #7

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
yep,,,those vibrating multitools would be perfect for this. in essence a miniature version of the profesional tile remover which sort of looks like a floor buffer with a foot wide scraper blade, used for removing old floor tile.
same principle.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #8

Name: Fred
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Washington
Registry
I used my power sander with a course 80 grit paper and a vacuum attachment to remove the excess glue and residue.

--Fred and Natalie
1978 Trillium 4500 "Bernerwagon"
freddo411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #9

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You can get a really great Heat Gun at Harbor Freight for less than $15 and the scraping tools to go with it for even less. I use the $13 one.

Heat Gun - Harbor Freight Tools
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I did mine to a nice clean finish with nothing more than a good sharp putty knife.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote