Removing Casita floor carpet and have a question about - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2009, 12:03 AM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I have searched and since I really don't know the correct name of what I am asking about, my searching has got me no where. I will be replacing the floor Carpet in our Casita with either wood/bambo or tiles, haven't decided which yet. But I am wondering, that white what I would call trim/baseshoe stuff around the floor, Should I remove that as well, if so is it easy to get off and then back on? Should I order new? Or do I just ignore it and remove the carpet and lay down what ever I pick? This is the white stuff in a 2007 Casita. If I go with wood shouldn't I put a base on? ( to get that finished look?) Any suggestion on how to approach this project would be wonderful............ Thanks Robin

Another question, What do you suggest for cleaning the outside of the Casita? Most of the time I run it thru the car wash. But it needs a good bath before we head out. Any products better than others?
Attached Images

Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:06 AM   #2

Has no one done this? Please help, need suggestions!
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #3

Ok, So can anyone tell me whats under the carpet in a newer Casita? Will it be plywood or am I gonna find a mystery?
Old 05-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I have searched and since I really don't know the correct name of what I am asking about, my searching has got me no where. I will be replacing the floor Carpet in our Casita with either wood/bambo or tiles, haven't decided which yet. But I am wondering, that white what I would call trim/baseshoe stuff around the floor, Should I remove that as well, if so is it easy to get off and then back on? Should I order new? Or do I just ignore it and remove the carpet and lay down what ever I pick? This is the white stuff in a 2007 Casita. If I go with wood shouldn't I put a base on? ( to get that finished look?) Any suggestion on how to approach this project would be wonderful............ Thanks Robin
Robin - My Casita is a few years older than yours, so I hesitate(d) to answer, but - I have had to remove one of my back benches, to get to the waterline (and replace a cracked check-valve, thank you very much). That little project included removing the molding along the bottom of the bench. It wasn't hard to do... nor to reattach. YMMV. I'll go take a picture of mine so you can see if it's anything like what Casita Enterprises used in 2007.

Meanwhile, I did find a VERY old topic about putting down new flooring. I know we had a discussion about the "shoe molding" or something like that... I haven't read this entire (old) topic, so not sure it's the right one - but maybe reading it will give you an idea of some other search terms to use. You are NOT the only person to do what you want to do, although you may be ahead of the pack on a 2007.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:48 PM   #5

Mary, Thank You sooooooo much! I will read the old post and see if I can learn a little. It's great to hear it wasn't hard to remove. I wonder if its the same stuff. I was thinking of calling Casita but hated to bother them. Hopefully I can find more out. Again Thank You! Robin
Old 05-17-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Wow - the little digital camera catches grime that's "invisible" to the naked eye.

Still, you can see what the molding is like...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony00406sm.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	20310

Attached Thumbnails
Sony00403sm.jpg  
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:13 AM   #7

Trailer: 1998 Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Eglyntine')
You might look at forums on casitaclub.com and casitaforum.com for discussions of carpet replacement and putting laminate over carpet. Lots of info!
Deb T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:00 PM   #8

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Quote:
Has no one done this? Please help, need suggestions!
Robin, I have written about this a number of times on the Casita club and the forum but I will explain itto you again since your so dogone persistent Ha.
You can get the trim off by using with I think a #2 square drive or a phillips head screwdriver, when you remove these screws they also disconnect the cabinets at the base , this will not interfere with anything. If you want to save the trim it will be a more tedious job, If not then with work gloves on grab a loose end and pull. when the trim is all out take a utility knife with a sharp blade and star cutting by tracing with the knife around all the cabinets and whatnot. The next thing I did was to look in the corners (preferably in the back of the trailer so your working toward the door) for a spot that might be loose and grab it with a pair of needle nose pliers and start to pull it out, if the piece gets too big to handle just cut it of leaving a loose piece to start pulling up again. when you get it all out just clean all the dust and grit out with a vacuum and look for any mold that might have accumulated. Clean that with bleach and let dry. I didn't attempt to remove the glue as it tends to add to moisture fighting. When I did mine years ago I had to lay a moisture barrier down and you may still have to if the material you use doesn't have it glued to the back of it. Ask the dealer you purchase it from what he recommends. If using laminate flooring you will have to decide which way the flooring will lay width wise or length wise. width wise might require less cuts and save on material. If you decide on tile you won't have to make that decision, good luck, Bill

Tags
casita