removing caulk from ensolite seams - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2015, 06:45 PM   #1

Name: laurie
Trailer: scamp
Connecticut
removing caulk from ensolite seams

Hi all, I am a new owner of a 78 13' Scamp. The previous owner had caulked the seams of the Ensolite but did a rotten job. Would like to remove it and replace or use tape, not sure which. Also he had painted the Ensolite as well and it is very tacky. Should I try to remove or just paint over? Thanks for all your help.
laurieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:23 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Remove the caulk. Try using a damp wadded-up paper towel to texture your new calking to match the ensolite, and repaint with latex paint in your desired color.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:18 AM   #3

Name: laurie
Trailer: scamp
Connecticut
Apparently an oil based paint was used on the ensolite previously, so would I have to prime prior to latex?
laurieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:47 AM   #4

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
Hi Laurie,

I had to remove a strip that covered our ensolite track from our ceiling that the previous owner had glued - it wasn't as hard to remove as I thought - working over my head was the achy part. I used goo be gone and contact cement thinner and it cleaned up beautifully. I purchased a new piece of t-moulding for the track from Paul Neumeister in Sebringville, Ontario. Looks very clean and 'finished' now.
JRTrillium is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin