Removing center trim? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-04-2003, 01:01 PM   #15
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Belly Band

In one of my previous lives...(I've had a few) I was a mechanic. To locate a leak use a garden hose turned on real low and apply water directly to the suspect area there by elimanating any possible source for leakage 1 at a time. Works like a charm! Hope this helps and happy hunting. Rick and Karen:wave

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 07:25 PM   #16
No wood

As it turns out, there is no wood at the rear or front joints as in the larger Trilliums. So, the plan is: I will inspect every rivet, if I find one that is loose, its coming off and being replaced. Then, each and every rivet will get a dab of caulk and once painted, a light bead top and bottom of the band. That should do it for that.
I suspect it had leaked around the windows and as someon also suggested, probably around the old vent; all that will be remedied and the fact it wont sit in the sun or rain or snow for months on end, everything should stay nice and dry.
Thanks for all the advice. JD

Old 06-09-2003, 06:41 PM   #17
Trillium bellyband leak

Revcon or whoever's comptuer color match is absolutely perfect! We sanded the opening between the top and bottom halves and filled it in with the mixture of cabasil and gel coat...several coats. This afternoon Tao talked with one of the Tech Reps from Revcon and he suggested that we add a layer of glass cloth to reinforce the fix...we'll do that tomorrow.

We're not sure what kind of finish we're going to put on after all this filling and sanding is done. For SURE the bellyband won't fit any more! Besides, we think that the holes the band was screwed into caused the rotting problem in the first place! Tao thinks that just the same color built-out band will look fine, but if it doesn't we can use the boat striping tape from West Marine to cover it.

Our Trill is put together like Allain's...the top and the bottom are screwed together courtesy of wood which has seen better days. The windows were screwed into the same kind of wood..,also rotted out. We used Minwax Wood Restorer on the wood that wasn't too bad and replaced the rest of it. In fact, we ended up putting the wood frames on the outside of the ensolite so we can watch for problems and make repairs easier...we used Teak because the frames show. Ultimately we plan to make "shadow boxes" out of the frames and mount wood blinds inside...but that won't happen until long after the leaks are fixed.

We did use the "hose" method to pinpoint the leaks. Our neighbor's brother used to have a trailer repair shop and he suggested the squirting method.