Removing double sided tape. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2017, 11:02 PM   #1

Name: Dach
Trailer: formerly: 1972 Hunter Compact
Oregon
Registry
Removing double sided tape.

I am looking to remove double sided tape on the inside (latex painted walls) of my fiberglass Compact Jr.

The previous owner stuck carpeting on the walls via this tape (pic attached) which I've removed.

Do any of you have ideas on what products I might use that are safe for this trailer?

I need to get rid of this glue.

Thanks in advance.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170320_181728.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	104172Click image for larger version

Name:	20170320_181716.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	104173
Zachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:33 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I've had sucess by heating with a hair dryer and removing the tape with a small scraper. On gelcoat I use a plastic scraper to protect the finish but here metal will work fine. Push the end of the tape while applying the heat. It should lift off easily. For residual adhesive, try Goo Gone. Be patient and let it work. It may take several applications but it will do the job. Acetone is quicker but the fumes are nasty. I suspect some of the latex paint will come off too. Not to worry, as you will want to insulate and apply a new covering to avoid condensation. Wear gloves to avoid the fiberglass splinters. They're nasty. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:10 PM   #3

Name: michael
Trailer: currently shopping
Kentucky
removing doubled sided tape

wd-40 has usually worked for me without damaging underlying materials. i have been using this for about 50 years. let us know how you come out. michael
michael ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Toluene works great at removing glue residue.

I have used it lots for cleaning off of plastic and metal. When gluing accessories onto an inflatable boat it is used to clean the surface well. I would do a small test spot on paint though, as toluene is often used as a solvent in paint and may take it off too. I have never used it on paint myself. Maybe I will run out to the shop and give it a test.

Also, provide good ventilation and use with rubber gloves.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:00 PM   #5

Name: Michael
Trailer: Coachman
Maryland
Removing Tape

Dab the tape to be removed with a new piece of tape. Will need quite a few dabs to get the old tape to start to release and then gets easier/more effective. As the dabbing piece becomes clogged or covered use a fresh area. This technique has worked every time I have used it. Works on pile fabrics also. Have never tried it on VHB type tape.
MDM54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:03 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM54 View Post
Dab the tape to be removed with a new piece of tape. Will need quite a few dabs to get the old tape to start to release and then gets easier/more effective. As the dabbing piece becomes clogged or covered use a fresh area. This technique has worked every time I have used it. Works on pile fabrics also. Have never tried it on VHB type tape.
This is basically what using a solvent does, as what you describe uses the solvent in the tape to soften the old adhesive. New adhesives have these solvents (like toluene) in them to keep them soft and pliable, and they evaporate over time.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:41 AM   #7

Name: Mari
Trailer: Hunter compact jr
Washington
Chaz, what are you covering the walls with once you remove the tape? We removed glue with an electric scraper on our compact and looking for ideas. It had shag carpet on the walls, yuck.
Mcmari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:22 PM   #8

Name: Dach
Trailer: formerly: 1972 Hunter Compact
Oregon
Registry
Hi. I'll probably just keep the walls painted off-white. If I do decide to do some winter camping in Oregon I may switch it up. Do you have plans for your walls? Also, thanks for the tip.
Zachs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin