Removing Gummy Residue from Fiberglass? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2016, 05:47 PM   #1

Name: Anne-Marie
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Removing Gummy Residue from Fiberglass?

So, what can I safely use to remove the last bit of a gummy residue that was left behind from a previous owner installing some kind of covering on the fiberglass backsplash wall of the kitchenette in my 1300 Trillium?

I never saw what was there...it was long gone before I got the trailer. I scraped the worst of a white, gummy, but not sticky layer off already but there is still a residue left behind that just feels tacky to the touch.

I scraped with a plastic scraper and used a vacuum to clean off the edge of the scraper as I worked.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-27-2016, 05:50 PM   #2

Ontario
Before I started scraping...
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-27-2016, 05:54 PM   #3

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Have you tried "GOO GONE" or mineral spirits... I think that would do iot or even WD-40 works great on removing sticky residue.....
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:05 PM   #4

Ontario
I haven't tried anything yet as I wanted to make sure I would't harm the fiberglass. I have some mineral spirits...I'll try that. I'm sure I got some WD40 around here too.

Does the mineral spirits dissolve the residue?
Old 08-27-2016, 06:14 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You can try Coca Cola and when that doesn't work, you can make a rum and Coke.
My guess is that it is contact cement. You can buy contact cement thinner ( probably a more expensive way to buy what is a regular solvent ).
Old 08-27-2016, 06:41 PM   #6

You can use any of those with no harm to the fiberglass... I really don't think that is contact cement, it's usually more yellow looking and what ever was glued on there wouldn't have come off without causing sever damage if it had been contact cement. Unless what Glen is talking about is a different type of contact cement than what I've used. The contact cement we use here in the south is also call Formica Glue used to glue formica on counter tops....
Old 08-27-2016, 06:43 PM   #7

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You can try Coca Cola and when that doesn't work, you can make a rum and Coke.
Would Coke Zero do the same thing?
Old 08-27-2016, 06:46 PM   #8

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
You can use any of those with no harm to the fiberglass... I really don't think that is contact cement, it's usually more yellow looking and what ever was glued on there wouldn't have come off without causing sever damage if it had been contact cement. Unless what Glen is talking about is a different type of contact cement than what I've used. The contact cement we use here in the south is also call Formica Glue used to glue formica on counter tops....
The white layer I scraped off was a soft gummy material, not brittle or dry or crumbly.

I wonder if someone did glue up a thin peice of formica to the wall once upon a time when that was the "in" thing?
Old 08-27-2016, 08:32 PM   #9

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
3M adhesive remover won't harm the fiberglass. I get it at auto parts stores but marine supply stores in my area also sell it.

The bonus is it is a terrific product and the extra won't be going to waste because you will be able to use it on a wide variety of surfaces.

I also like a product called Mostenbocker Lift Off. Lowes and Home Depot sell it. It is safe to use on fiberglass and many other surfaces. Another good product to have around the house. I use it fairly often, even works for taking off spray adhesives. Spray it on, let it sit for a while, use a plastic scraper wiping the scraper off on paper towels for removing the bulk of the residue, then wash the surface.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:22 PM   #10

Name: Jan
Trailer: '02 Bigfoot 17'
Washington
Registry
Try peanut butter (smooth) or mayonnaise left on for 24 hours. Or try alcohol. You may have one of these at your disposal. If they don't work at least it was an inexpensive and safe experiment.
40bpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:02 AM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
I used to use WD40 and mineral spirits to remove price tags and similar "rubber cement type" adhesives.

Then I found that cooking oil generally does the same job.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:49 PM   #12

Name: Madeline
Trailer: Casita
Florida
De-Solv-it Contractors Solvent

[QUOTE=Anne-Marie L;606017]So, what can I safely use to remove the last bit of a gummy residue?
Just found a great product on the Casita forum site. This "De-solve-it, for contractors" works great and does not harm the fiberglass or smell so stinky! We found it at "Do It Best" hardware store in N.Carolina.
Madelinecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:50 PM   #13

Florida
De-Solv-it contractors solvent.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:12 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I use acetone (which is the main ingredient in nail polish remover) to remove tape and glue residues. Doesn't touch the fiberglass.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:55 AM   #15

Ontario
Well...I tried mineral oil and then nail polish remover. Didn't do a thing.

Then I got the bright idea to try some Comet and a non scratch scrub sponge. Got it!Yay!

Thanks for all your suggestions!
Old 08-29-2016, 02:09 PM   #16

Ontario
All clean!
A very productive day....I ground some surface rust off the tongue and painted it with rustproof paint.
I got the backsplash wall clean of it's gummy residue.
And I gave the ensolite a thorough cleaning, rinse and then sprayed with Concrobium Mold Control.

I also discovered a little leak, while working during a rain shower, inside the gaucho bench storage area. A tiny trickle from under the ensolite that only manifasts itself inside the bench. But has probably been leaking there for years, as I stuck paper towel in the low spot beneath the door and sopped up a ton of water. Got it dry and then put a fan inside the bench aimed at the low spot to try and dry it up further. May be coming from the front window or the belly band...who knows? But won't be trying to find it THIS year! Fortunately, I have inside winter storage.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-29-2016, 02:29 PM   #17

Looks good... Where the old pump facet was located I took a hole saw and cut out a 3 1/2" hole then slid a chrome cup holder in it.. You will have to put a small piece of plywood under the hole first to keep the hole saw centered... You can see it in this picture barely beside the spray paint...
Attached Thumbnails
trillium 5 018 (1).jpg  
Old 08-29-2016, 03:27 PM   #18

Ontario
I removed the old grungy gravity water tank and all the water lines. Neither the city water or pump faucetts worked. I just installed new water line for a city water system and used this goose neck "bar sink" faucett from Lowe's. It JUST fit thru the old pump faucett hole and I capped off the hot water line on it. A small amount of "McGyvering" and swearing was required to make it work, but I like it very much.

One of these days I'm going to start a reno thread on the Modifications Forum. My cushions are out for recovering right now, I've done some modifications and I've got a few other things to do yet too.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:53 PM   #19

Florida
Acetone is Highly Flammable

Acetone can be a highly flammable. It will also soften the Gelcoat on fiberglass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I use acetone (which is the main ingredient in nail polish remover) to remove tape and glue residues. Doesn't touch the fiberglass.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:59 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelinecap View Post
Acetone can be a highly flammable. It will also soften the Gelcoat on fiberglass.
Never noticed a gelcoat issue in the 45 years I've used acetone on fiberglass. Of course the container has warnings about flammability.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin