Removing my Scamp's American electrical converter and installing progressive - - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-26-2011, 06:40 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Removing my Scamp's American electrical converter and installing progressive -

Has anyone changed from an American power converter box to the newer model progressive electrical box and seperate converter in a Scamp? A washboard dirt road broke the cover plate off of the American power converter / electrical panel in our Scamp and broke off a component on the cirut board. Called Scamp for a replacement, sent me a progressive electrial panel box with a seperate power converter. Looking for some advice on where to mount the seperate power converter, it has to be plugged into 120v outlet, most likely the one for the fridge. This is for a 2004 16ft Scamp, side shower, front bunk.

Thanks,

John
John Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We have a progressive converter and installed it along with an outlet under the couch at the bathroom end. We connected the output directly to the battery.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Ron, changed from the American to Progressive brand about a year ago, you might want to PM him to see what challenges he faced: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post222605

Ron is still very active Last Activity: Today 05:58 PM
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:45 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks all -

I will contact Ron, my main concern is if I bury the converter behind the current American box will it over heat. Sounds like if you have had success under the front bench it should be ok behind the existing box.

Thanks,

John
John Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We keep our converter on year round except when driving or boondocking and have had no issues even though the weather has been hot on occasion. Actually we have never heard the fan come on though that may be due to location.

We also had the Converter under the couch in our previous trailer for 4 years without issue.

We also have a 1200 watt Inverter located in the same space but they never run simultaneously.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, scamp