Removing Old Smoke Odor from Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2015, 05:14 PM   #1

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Removing Old Smoke Odor from Casita

In January of this year we found on Craigslist a 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe. Trailer had been used but kept in excellent condition except at least one of the users was a heavy smoker. The carpeted walls had absorbed a lot of odor. I've had some experience removing smoking odor from RVs, & the price was right so we brought it home. I ordered one of the small 'bare bones' ozone generators (3600mg per hour) to 'shock' the odor for removal & it has worked pretty well. I cleaned all hard, smooth surfaces with chlorine bleach solution, then used the same solution sprayed on the carpeted walls, let it dry & vacuumed, the walls thoroughly. The 'bare bones' ozone generator recommends a 20" box fan to move the air, provide more 'shock' & to cool the transformer. I have a small 8" 12VDC 'truckers' fan which has provided pretty good air circulation. I've used the ozone generator probably 4-5 times for around an hour each time, & let it air out thoroughly afterwards. It has removed the old smoke odor, leaving a slight, lingering ozone 'fresh' smell in the camper but the old smoke odor returns after a few days. It is a very slight odor but noticeable when first entering the camper. I've also tried spraying with lemon scent Pine Sol, Fabreeze, & Lysol Neutra Air odor neutralizer. All seem to help on a temporary basis but eventually the odor returns, even tho considerably reduced. I had the same problem with a pop-up truck camper & eventually got rid of the odor by spraying the canvas walls & screen with the lemon scent Pine Sol. I didn't have the ozone generator at that time.

I'm thinking I may have to spray the carpeted walls (& floor) to the point of thoroughly dampening the fabric & then use my wet-or-dry shop vacuum to remove all the odor causing bacteria, then use a 20" box fan with the ozone generator to really move the air & 'shock' the odor containing fabric in the trailer. The odor has been reduced probably 90% & is tolerable but I'd like to get rid of it permanently.

Has anyone here had experience removing old smoking odor from a Casita or other fabric walled trailer, without having to remove the carpet from the walls?
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:34 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Since there will be nicotine in the carpet, I would give a steam cleaner a try.
David L. C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:51 AM   #3

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
As an ex-apartment manager I would recommend my two favourite items. Vinegar and/or Baking Soda - not mixed together unless doing drains. Sprinkle a liberal quantity of Baking Soda in the carpet and leave it for a day or two and then vacuum it out. Clean every surface with a vinegar water solution and leave open bowls of vinegar sitting in the trailer to absorb the odor.
Baking Soda is also a very natural way to kill moss. Sprinkle it on and leave it. It will kill the moss and then it is easy to remove.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:55 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I have used a lesser known product called OdoBan Disinfectant & Air Freshener to remove smoke smell from cushions and carpets in RV's in the past with excellent success. I vacuum first, then get everything very wet with the product, blot like crazy with toweling and repeat, then vacuum afterwards Be sure to come back and check in a day or two, sometimes takes several application cycles. I buy mine at a commercial janitorial supply but I am told that it is now available in some Wal-Marts.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:00 AM   #5

Name: Marijke
Trailer: Biod X2
Alberta
Registry
ozon

Hi,

Why don't you bite the bullet and exchange the carpet for lino, and re- upholster the cushions? Take the old covers off, place cushions in upright position, close every door/ window, and let the ozonator run at least overnight. That is how the car detailers do it, and it works. Then open everything and let it air out. I can second the baking powder, brush it onto your wall coverings (use a dry sponge?), leave it for a day or two and vacuum it thoroughly.
Even putting the old cushions (after ozonating) in the sun on the lawn will get rid of the smell.

Your trailer will be all fresh and cute, just don't give up! Best wishes,
Marijke
marijke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:12 AM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I think that the op was asking about removing smoke residue from the carpeted (Rat Fur) walls of a Scamp. I gave my example as working with carpets and cushions because I had good success with the product mentioned on those surfaces.

What car detailers do for a 5-10 year old vehicle not be as effective in a 30 y.o. FGRV.

BTW: I have put cigarette smoke contaminated cushions out in the sun for a week and the smell always came back, perhaps to a lesser degree, but it was still there after being closed up again for a week or so that warm California sun we know and love soooo well.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:24 AM   #7

Name: Marijke
Trailer: Biod X2
Alberta
Registry
I've never seen carpet on walls in travel trailers LOL Bob. But I'm from Holland ;-)
I'd throw the cushions in the bathtub then, wash with Tide, rinse, and take outside to dry. I'm redoing the interior of my little Biod, new foam, flooring and curtains etc. I don't know who slept on the foam since it was built, and just feel better about having new foam. The Biod walls are upholsterd with a "pleather", so can be washed off. Underneath that is foam, and styrofoam for insulation. I love how well it is built!
marijke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:26 AM   #8

Name: Tony
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Texas
I used to own a carpet and upholstery cleaning business and some of the internet supply houses carried a cleaner called "smoke out". You could get some of that or similar chemical from various carpet cleaning supply houses and clean it and it will eliminate the smoke odor. I don't remember if " rug doctor" machines you could rent or bissel cleaners had an upholstery wand or not. A carpet cleaning business could clean it up pretty quickly.
TCMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:53 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I use spray Tuff Stuff to remove doggy smell in my trailer.
Spray it on wet and suds it up with a brush so the stink gets in the foam and immediately suck it up with a home shop vac designed to suck up moisture with the filter removed. Once it dries it has its own smell that dissipates in a couple of days after it dries. I once did my carpet the day before a rally and that was a mistake as we had to sleep with the smell. A couple of days later the smell was gone.
Armor All Tuff Stuff 00350 - Upholstery Cleaner | O'Reilly Auto Parts
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler and U-Haul
Harvey a good friend bought a truck from a heavy smoker and could not get rid of the smell. I got him some nilodor, it is a concentrated deodorizer. You just put a few drops on a small piece of paper towel in the trailer and let it sit in the sun. Depending on how bad the smell is you may have to repeat a couple of times, that's all.
Alan Ursacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:52 AM   #11

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Thanks folks for all the great tips/suggestions. I've generally always had pretty good luck using the lemon scent Pine Sol but I think the carpeted walls have absorbed so much of the old smoke molecules that it's gonna be hard to remove it all. I ran the ozone generator for 5 hours last evening & this morning it smells great. I'll hafta see how it smells after setting in the sun all day.

Alan, thanks for the tip on Nil Oder. That sounds like a pretty good, inexpensive solution, that may actually work.

We love the Casita & if we're unsuccessful in eliminating the old smoke odor, I'll probably turn it over to professional carpet cleaners & let them 'do their thing'.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, vin