removing paint form fiberglass - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2010, 06:29 AM   #1

Trailer: (fiberglass)
removing paint form fiberglass

Hello, can someone here give me help on the best way to remove paint form fiberglass? The former owner spray painted a stripe on my uhaul and i want to try and take it off. It is on the part where the uhaul sticker once was by the tail lights, and it is only on one side. I know some stripper can damage fiberglass if you leave it on too long. Sanding may be the best or paint over it. thanks. the area is about 6 inches bt 3 feet.
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:09 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Get a stripper made for fiberglass boats.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Hello, can someone here give me help on the best way to remove paint form fiberglass? The former owner spray painted a stripe on my uhaul and i want to try and take it off. It is on the part where the uhaul sticker once was by the tail lights, and it is only on one side. I know some stripper can damage fiberglass if you leave it on too long. Sanding may be the best or paint over it. thanks. the area is about 6 inches bt 3 feet.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:19 AM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Yep, a fiberglass-safe paint stripper will work. One that I know of is Franmar's Soy Strip. Also not too obnoxious to work with, according to folks I know who have used it (I used the Interlux stripper, but actually found it a bit too strong).

You could also try a heat gun and scraper, but be very careful not to overheat any one area. Depending on what the paint is, denatured alcohol, acetone, or mineral spirits might work too. With acetone, just don't let it "soak" on the gelcoat.

Also, of course be sure to wear appropriate gloves, eye protection, and a respirator with the chemicals that demand it. (I think a good, cartridge respirator is almost a necessity for anyone who does any "handy" type work - and as a side bonus, when you are wearing one, you cannot smell whatever nasty chemical/paint/etc. you are working with.)
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Maybe this: RemovALL 610 Marine gal spray grade. The only thing I know about it, is you must leave it on longer than described to work properly.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:55 PM   #5

paint remover

Thanks for the replies as you can see in the pic a former owner painted where th Uhaul sticker once was and also around the Window. I think painting over it and matching the trailer may be my best bet. I don't want the paint and stripper to run down the side and stain it . but i may get brave and try it. thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Maybe this: RemovALL 610 Marine gal spray grade. The only thing I know about it, is you must leave it on longer than described to work properly.
Attached Thumbnails
uhaul 2.jpg  
Old 09-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Scott,

If it were me, I would want to at least try to get the paint off and see if I could get back to gelcoat. Paint over paint would give you a "ridge line," and then too, you are relying on the adhesion and quality of the PO's paint job to attach your paint.

One option you might consider is protecting the surrounding area while you try to remove the paint. Depending on how I'm going about it, I usually use blue tape and then some kind of plastic or paper sheeting. Kind of like an operating room, I try to make sure that only the critical area is exposed.

If you do use tape, you can make one primary layer, and then put another layer on top of it with the drape. That way you can change the secondary tape without messing up your good line on the base layer.

Know that you don't want to leave the blue tape on over a long time period (many days/weeks) because it will turn to "concrete" and be very hard to remove.

Raya

PS: Although, maybe it's just me - and I can't see it up close - but I kind of like the way the windows look with the surrounds darker.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #7

Name: Jennie
Trailer: Looking for a 16/17' Casita or Scamp with shower
Alabama
Send a message via AIM to Jennie W Send a message via Yahoo to Jennie W
Scott, I am in a similar situation. I am about to buy a 1994 Casita Spirit whose owner spray painted it with different colored paints to camouflage it, for hunting. Let me know what worked for you. I am going to have to remove paint from the ENTIRE Casita. He even painted over the vents and everything...everything is spraypainted, even his propane tanks! Let me know which route you take, the chemicals or sanding...and how it turned out. Thanks!

My Food Blog / Facebook / Twitter / Flickr
Jennie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #8

well i tried to remove it.ended up painting over it for now

well I tried to remove the paint but it did not come off like i wanted. because the area I was working with was so small i painted over it. I want to remove the paint but i used two types of stripper for marine use and it just did not get all the color off, i even sanded after. I will try to remove it later but for now it looks better than before .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennie W View Post
Scott, I am in a similar situation. I am about to buy a 1994 Casita Spirit whose owner spray painted it with different colored paints to camouflage it, for hunting. Let me know what worked for you. I am going to have to remove paint from the ENTIRE Casita. He even painted over the vents and everything...everything is spraypainted, even his propane tanks! Let me know which route you take, the chemicals or sanding...and how it turned out. Thanks!

Tags
paint, painting