Removing, repairing and reattaching the belly band on a Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-31-2017, 06:11 PM   #1

Name: Lindsey
Trailer: 1977 Scamp
Missouri
Removing, repairing and reattaching the belly band on a Scamp

After purchasing my "no leak!" 1977 scamp I have gone out to find huge puddles in the camper after every rain. I have removed the rear and side windows, put a new butyl seal in and finished with vulchem. I did the same to the roof vent, shelf supports and curtain rod holders. Still so many leaks. I am fairly sure the belly band is leaking because several rivets are missing and it just makes sense after doing many tests with the water hose around all the spots that seem to accumulate water.

I would like to take the belly band off to investigate but before I do I am curious about how big of a pain it is to reattach?

From other thread searching my plan is to remove, assess, glass any problem areas and reattach.. but I haven;t found any really detailed posts on the reattach part.

Has anyone done this? advice? words to the wise? cautionary tales?

These constant leaks are stresssssssing me out!
byersl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:12 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Be sure you remove and re install with fresh buty tape or new gaskets all of the inlet ports for the various utilities, water, electrical, stove vent fan, etc. Those holes can also be sources of leaks.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:29 PM   #3

Name: Lindsey
Trailer: 1977 Scamp
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Be sure you remove and re install with fresh buty tape or new gaskets all of the inlet ports for the various utilities, water, electrical, stove vent fan, etc. Those holes can also be sources of leaks.
I have done all of that! I am pretty sure that solved some of the leaks.. but it is still puddling.
byersl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:05 PM   #4

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I had a leak where water got between the flanges about a foot in front of the door and ran in the channel formed by the fiberglass bonding the halves together.
I filled the flange gap with epoxy after I ground a gap larger.
This I stopped the leak down the front of the door frame.
This the last leak as far as I know.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 03:15 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Leaks can be stressfull because they can start there and water will end up here. Wife insisted it was the belly band (I was too timid to undertake the task) so I disagreed and just filled holes of missing rivets with epoxy.
That didn't cure the problem.
17 years of finding water in the Boler and this past summer was the 1st year it stayed dry inside...YIPEEE.
Tell us where the puddle is and we may be able to tell more?
When you say big HMMM I can imagine like an inch of water on the whole floor or is it just a corner that has like a pool?
So sorry, I have no advice on the belly band but on my 79Boler I found the leak after years of finding the rear road side bench seat wet after a rain. Wife would say the seat is wet and before I went to look she had cleaned all the water so traceing it was hard but then I found, when I stood out there in a rain storm, a little river of water, traveling along the back of the kitchen counter and it was actually comeing in the Jealouse window that's over the stove.
Over the years I have done all but taken the Jealouse window out myself, even had a window dealer, supposedly remove and re-seal ALL windows then had a trailer dealership re-seal rear window because the window dealer didn't fix it the first time, I spent about an hour inspecting that crank out window and had an AH-Ha sighting.
In the corner of the tiin frame, where it fold over to make the corners, there was a seam, where the solder was missing.
I had some self sticking aluminum sided tape and cut like a 1/2 strip and fashioned it to go along bottom and up the sides of this frame.
I knew water can get in by the window but now it can not get into this seam and can just flow out under the window where there is not a 100% seal.
Point is a leak in the front ends up on bed in the rear.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, vin