Removing Roof Vent in 13' 1975 Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2017, 04:36 PM   #21

Name: Jeroen
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
I just removed the vent from my '77 Scamp. I'm replacing it with a Heng's 14" one. They're all over Ebay for about 30-40 bucks, and optionally have a 12v fan in them. I did have to cut a bigger hole.
jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:45 PM   #22

Name: Judy
Trailer: scamp
Minnesota
Finished replacing the hatch - had to buy a new one since the old one was badly damaged. Only a few of the holes in scamp lined up with the new hatch holes. However, drilling new holes and riveting was lots easier than cleaning off the old silicone caulk that was pretty much everywhere.

I am too short to reach all the rivets without kneeling on the roof. It worked for me to rivet the sides and corners and then kneel on the sides to reach the rest of the rivets.
JudyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:33 AM   #23

Trailer: 75 Scamp 13 ft
Where did you get the new vent? Is it the same size as the old one / original? Is the new one made of aluminum? Thanks!
Lydia W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:02 AM   #24

Minnesota
I called Scamp. The parts guy wanted to know the dimensions of my current hatch and then he decided what size I needed. Yes, its made of aluminum.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:00 PM   #25

Thanks! Is the new vent the same size as the original, or did you have to cut a larger opening?
Old 10-24-2017, 03:13 PM   #26

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I have recently treated myself to a set of cleco pliers and clecos. There is a lot to be said for having the right tools for a job
I felt it was time that someone introduced these tools to forum members who have riveted trailers that need a lot of riveting work and/or might be working on them as a professional trailer remodeler.

For instance on a replacement vent that is riveted in place and you have a new vent with the same hole locations you just put in the little spring clamps around in the hole locations and it will pull and hold everything in place while you install the new rivets. Just use the pliers to quickly remove the clamp from the next hole location you want to rivet. That way you don't need to have a helper standing around constantly putting pressure onto the piece you are riveting in place such as a rib, wall, etc and it frees up both of your hands for using the rivet puller.

What they are is a miniature spring clamp made just for inserting into a drilled hole to clamp the materials tight against each other while keeping the edges of the holes perfectly aligned. You match the rivet hole size to the cleco size. The pliers are a universal fit. I was, during my working years, an aircraft riveter so I have really missed having these great little clamps for projects where I have a need to drill a series of holes for fasteners into layers of materials and have everything stay in perfect alignment which is what is required for rivet installation jobs. I will be using riveted together aluminum angle for my cabinet framing so I wanted to have the convenience and precision as well as the faster assembly time these miniature spring clamps will bring to my project.

This is the basic beginners set I purchased, it has both 1/8" and 3/16" clecos which are a match for the rivets I will be using. You can choose from a variety of sets that have different size clecos in varying quantities. Both Ebay and Amazon offer these.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:47 PM   #27

Minnesota
Lydia, I gave them my measurements and they sent me the correct vent to fit into my hatch opening. Since I had to redrill so many holes, a larger size may have been a better choice, however I didn't know that until the new hatch arrived.

K Corbin - I like the cleco idea, will look into it.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:29 AM   #28

Thanks JudyG...I'm going to call Scamp and see if I can get a replacement too!
Old 11-17-2017, 02:51 PM   #29

Mary and Bob... where in New York? Northern? Southern? Eastern? Western? I'm way north - not far from the Canadian border.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:52 PM   #30

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia W View Post
Mary and Bob... where in New York? Northern? Southern? Eastern? Western? I'm way north - not far from the Canadian border.
just south of Albany, near I 90 and the Mass border
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:58 AM   #31

Do you ever come up to the Adirondacks to camp? I live close to Fish Creek Pond, Buck Pond & others.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:53 PM   #32

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia W View Post
Do you ever come up to the Adirondacks to camp? I live close to Fish Creek Pond, Buck Pond & others.
For a few years we went to Fish Creek pond for the "Tear-up the Adirondacks" event in June, with either our Uhaul or teardrop. Haven't been in a couple years because of a scheduling conflict with a vintage rally in Vermont. Won't be at that rally (Fish Creek) again next year. We like Fish Creek, but have been spoiled with electric hookups in other campgrounds. Went to Cranberry Lake once too, and Krings Point.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, vin