Removing rust on stove and fridge? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1977
Registry
Removing rust on stove and fridge?

I am wondering if anyone has an easy (cheap, non-scratch) way to remove those little rust spots on the stove top and the fridge trim. The stove is metal, and the fridge is white. I thought about SOS pads, but don't want to scratch it all up, just need to touch up the surface without painting. Any suggestions? Would white vinegar work? Thanks!
jlbails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Try some auto wax or rubbing compound on the fridge, maybe it'll work on the stove too. A wax with a cleaner in it would be best. Maybe Mothers mag polish would work on the stove, I use it on our aluminum teardrop.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
try Nev-R-Dull, I used to use on my Harley, shines and polishes, also good for silver and other metals, brass, Barkeeper's Friend is another polisher/cleaner.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #4

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
Naval jelly removes rust.

I'd use it on the stove then wash it off and repaint with a rust protectant, high temperature paint.

For the fridge I would try a polish first.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You might try a little Bar Keepers Friend dissolved onto a cloth or paper towel. It has oxalic acid and a very mild abrasive to go after rust.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
One more option for you to try is EvapoRust. I use in on my knives that get rusty and have restored many many knives that looked beyond all hope. You can Google it (but its evaporust.com) and then find some. I get my at Harbor Freight and also O'Reiilys auto part carry it here in TX. It wont attack good metal. Soak a rag and let it lay on there. Its an awesome product. I can put it in a gas tank and it just dissolves the rust. Just read their site and see if its applicable to you.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #7

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Evaporust works great. I was very skeptical. I used it when I did a ground up on my garden tractor.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #8

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16- side bath
Virginia
Yes- evapo-rust is the way. I first used it a few months ago on the super rusty interior of a moped gas tank I was restoring. After that I found myself literally looking for rusty items around my house/yard just so I could work some more magic!
I've got some light rust on my Scamp fridge that will be treated with it soon.
Ryan P R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbails View Post
The stove is metal, and the fridge is white. I thought about SOS pads, but don't want to scratch it all up, just need to touch up the surface without painting.
I assume that this means that the stove is some sort of exposed metal, such as stainless steel, chrome-plated steel, or (unlikely) aluminum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Try some auto wax or rubbing compound on the fridge, maybe it'll work on the stove too. A wax with a cleaner in it would be best. Maybe Mothers mag polish would work on the stove, I use it on our aluminum teardrop.
If the stove has a brushed finish - rather than smooth polished - I would be cautious about any kind of polish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Naval jelly removes rust.

I'd use it on the stove then wash it off and repaint with a rust protectant, high temperature paint.
If the stove is stainless or chromed, some serious surface preparation would presumably be required before painting.

There have been some extensive discussions in FiberglassRV of brushed chrome stovetops, and how to clean or refinish them
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
If the stove has a brushed finish - rather than smooth polished - I would be cautious about any kind of polish. [quote from Brian]

Good point, without seeing a picture of the actual situation it's hard to determine a solution. I was merely thinking of what I have on hand that I would try, and what I used to clean my own stove. Apparently it's too late to delete my original post, so just disregard it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #11

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Good point, without seeing a picture of the actual situation it's hard to determine a solution. I was merely thinking of what I have on hand that I would try, and what I used to clean my own stove. Apparently it's too late to delete my original post, so just disregard it.
I don't think anything should be deleted - they're all good ideas. I was just adding something to think about just in case the stove finish is brushed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #12

Registry
Thanks everyone. I'll look for evaporust around here, but I do have Bar Keepers friend, so will give that a go first.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #13

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
Quote:
Thanks everyone. I'll look for evaporust around here, but I do have Bar Keepers friend, so will give that a go first.
Bar keepers friend will put down a layer of wax that will make it difficult to use evaporust later.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #14

Name: frankie
Trailer: 1971 hunter compact jr
Texas
If its chrome try ketchup and aluminum foil old hot rodders trick sounds funny but it works then u can polish over that ... but it dnt work on painted stuff
frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #15

Registry
Wanted to let folks know that I had great success with Bar Keepers friend last weekend. Rubbed a little on the stove, unpainted chrome (and will stay that way). BKF worked like a charm. It easily removed the red rust specks and got all but the deepest rust spots. Came out nice and shiny. Then I took it to the fridge (painted)-once again all minor rust discoloration came right off with a little elbow grease. I kept going to the 30 plus years of rust on the hinges, and of course cleaned those up too. After I just wiped it all down with a wet rag. The only place it didn't do so well is the metal heater. Love the fact that I can use this stuff inside and out. Gloriously removes the black streaks and oxidation on the fiberglass without resorting to harsh chemicals. Thanks for the tip! Now on to that leaky kitchen window.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #16

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Jamie, glad to hear that you, too, have found BKF very helpful as most of us have used this product as well. With your leaky window, suggest you remove it, put in butyl tape, reinstall and no more leaks. I actually overkilled by putting in a very high grade caulking, not silicone, on the outside of the window frames as well.
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #17

Registry
Yep, that's the plan. Just need a sunny day and an assistant who knows what they are doing!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #18

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Quote:
Yep, that's the plan. Just need a sunny day and an assistant who knows what they are doing!
Glad to hear that your are going in the right direction.....as someone else reported recently, when putting the exterior window in place, wet the butyl tape with water so you can move it around while the person in the inside lines up the screw holes....I did not do this, and had a somewhat difficult time lining it up. Good luck..Jim
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge