Removing screws from Scamp cabinets - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2016, 04:42 PM   #1

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Removing screws from Scamp cabinets

This was also posted on SOI, no need to answer on both.

In attempting to re-finish the cabinet doors, I decided to replace the hinges as well to get something that will match the new cabinet door pulls.

I have gotten all of the cabinet doors off, except for two screws, one in each of two hinges. I just removed the door from these two hinges, but I cannot get the last screw on each of the hinges out of the cabinet. It's as if they have been epoxied or fiber glassed in. The hinge will turn on this screw, but the screw will not budge.

Any suggestions for removing them without damaging the fiberglass? Any products that may loosen an epoxy bond?

I could probably drill them out, but that may enlarge the hole in the fiberglass and make re-install difficult. Surely others have met and solved this problem.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:28 AM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Are you the first owner? If not, there could be many different things the previous owner may have done. One is epoxy bonding the screws in place that you mentioned. Another could be a blob of epoxy putty covering the part of the screw that intruded on the inside of the cabinet after its sharp point caused problems. I have done things like that myself, on my Scamp or other places. Investigate what is on the inside. Then decide if drilling out is in order. That process will be messy no matter how hard you try, but you can build up the FG with epoxy putty and then predrill for the new screws. If you just drill out the head of the screw, then you can hopefully grab it with a pair of visegrips and remove it. Good luck.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:56 AM   #3

None
I did look on the inside. Many of the screw tips appear to have been "nipped" off. That is not the case on these two however. Some of the other screws were difficult to get started, and appear to have a white substance on them once they are out, so this is why I'm assuming some type of epoxy was used. Most of the screws came out quite easily.

I'm the third owner, so I'm assuming that this was something done by one of the previous owners, especially since most of the screws came out easily, it must not have been a factory thing.

When re-installing, I'm considering placing small blocks of wood behind the hinges and using slightly longer screws. Seems that would be easier and more secure. Wouldn't have to worry about the points sticking into the cabinets then and would be easy to remove in the future.

Thanks for your comment. If anyone else has any further suggestions, I'm all ears.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:55 AM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Insert the screwdriver and apply a slight twist action to it and hit the butt of the screw driver with a hammer. It may jar the screw loose.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:01 AM   #5

None
Tried a modified version of that - only had a pliers handy to do the hitting. Will try again with a proper hammer before taking more drastic measures. Thanks.

Off to Menard's soon to buy some new hardware. The dimensions on these hinges all seem pretty standard, right, as long as I get the same basic style? I'll take one of the old ones to compare.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:50 AM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
An impact type of screwdriver may do it. Press as hard as you can against the screw and turn on the driver. If that does not work then get an easy out kit from harbor freight. You use the matching drill bit to drill into the screw and then insert the easyout and turn it with a wrench. If your easyout breaks then you are up the well known creek without a paddle.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:24 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Hard to remove screws ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
This was also posted on SOI, no need to answer on both.

In attempting to re-finish the cabinet doors, I decided to replace the hinges as well to get something that will match the new cabinet door pulls.

I have gotten all of the cabinet doors off, except for two screws, one in each of two hinges. I just removed the door from these two hinges, but I cannot get the last screw on each of the hinges out of the cabinet. It's as if they have been epoxied or fiber glassed in. The hinge will turn on this screw, but the screw will not budge.

Any suggestions for removing them without damaging the fiberglass? Any products that may loosen an epoxy bond?

I could probably drill them out, but that may enlarge the hole in the fiberglass and make re-install difficult. Surely others have met and solved this problem.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can't imagine hard to remove screws. On my low mileage '93 two owner Scamp the screws come loose in the particle board doors on rough roads, and the hinges break on rough roads. They are really just kitchen cabinet hinges. But I've never had trouble with getting the screws out of the fiberglas. But it is often a problem with motorcycles, and an impact screwdriver turns as you tap it, freeing stuck screws. Cheap at 'Harbor Fright' in Calif. If you replace the screws with longer ones, they poke through the paper veneer on the cabinet faces. I have drilled out the heavy closet door and used small brass bolts with double brass nuts. Matches well and solves the screw-into-particleboard problem. But just transfers the problem to the hinges, which start breaking. But can be quickly replaced. I think going from particle board to plywood would solve my screw problem, but only an impact driver will easily solve your screw-into-fiberglas problem. Good luck and Happy Trails ! David in Fresno & Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:44 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Florida
Other options

If there is added material on the screw on the inside why not use a Dremel like tool and cutting wheel to cut off inside portion. Be careful not to damage cabinet wall. If the material added is hard like epoxy, use vice grips to clamp down and break up epoxy leaving only the screw threads.

Just my thoughts
Cajun Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 02:23 PM   #9

None
OK, the winner in this round: Darwin and David

I went to Menards, picked up both an impact driver and an easy-out type tool. Came home, and had both screws out within 5 minutes. Spent a half hour per screw last night, and neither would budge. Lots of cussing and actually worked up a sweat - probably more from being ticked off than exertion. A couple of taps today with the impact driver, and both were free. As mechanics always say - proper tool for the job!

I didn't even know these things existed as hand tools, so thank you Darwin and Dave. Under $10.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:19 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
OK, the winner in this round: Darwin and David

I went to Menards, picked up both an impact driver and an easy-out type tool. Came home, and had both screws out within 5 minutes. Spent a half hour per screw last night, and neither would budge. Lots of cussing and actually worked up a sweat - probably more from being ticked off than exertion. A couple of taps today with the impact driver, and both were free. As mechanics always say - proper tool for the job!

I didn't even know these things existed as hand tools, so thank you Darwin and Dave. Under $10.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions.
==================================

DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:27 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Got a good soldering iron? Heat up the screw for a while and if its bonded in it should come out. Safer than heating it with a propane torch. It's just going to take a bit longer to heat the screw.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:02 AM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1970 Boler
Oregon
Great idea Steve!
J-barn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, vin