Removing Side windows on 70's Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2006, 08:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 1970 Boler
Need to remove the side windows to clean them up, re seal them (with Butyl tape) and paint the shell.

How do I remove them?

I assume I need to drill out the rivets bnut so I drill out all 30 around the outer edge or speciific ones?

Also noticed some on the inside trim....do I drill these out as well?

Thanks!!
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:26 PM   #2
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
Yep! Drill them all out with a 3/16" drill. Be careful of the inside trim pieces as they are quite thin and bend easy. If you are going to replace your windows, no big deal.
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:17 PM   #3

thanks, tomorrows job. I am going to have to re-use the windows at this point. I have a contact of a place in the BC Interior from the forum (perhaps from you?) but the price will be around $400 for the new windows. Perhaps next year.

I have been watching Ebay for new wondows (they're cheap) but no luck with sizes. I can see on our trailers that you can go larger vertically but not much (if any) horizontally due to the curvature of the shell and the closet and cabinet in the way. I know some people go smaller and fill the gap (ie. fiberglassing) but at the most... I want something where all I have to do is some trimming and then voila!.

For now I will pull them out and polish the frames up the best I can. Once painted I was planning on re-installing with the Butil Tape and some stailess nuts and bolts and then new vinyl sleeves to cover the edges. I hope to replace all the rivets on the trailer this way and think I will install them after the paint is on as I think they should give the trailer some character with the shiny, unpainted, hardware on the shell.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
thanks, tomorrows job. I am going to have to re-use the windows at this point. I have a contact of a place in the BC Interior from the forum (perhaps from you?) but the price will be around $400 for the new windows. Perhaps next year.

I have been watching Ebay for new wondows (they're cheap) but no luck with sizes. I can see on our trailers that you can go larger vertically but not much (if any) horizontally due to the curvature of the shell and the closet and cabinet in the way. I know some people go smaller and fill the gap (ie. fiberglassing) but at the most... I want something where all I have to do is some trimming and then voila!.

For now I will pull them out and polish the frames up the best I can. Once painted I was planning on re-installing with the Butil Tape and some stailess nuts and bolts and then new vinyl sleeves to cover the edges. I hope to replace all the rivets on the trailer this way and think I will install them after the paint is on as I think they should give the trailer some character with the shiny, unpainted, hardware on the shell.
Better to keep the old louvred windows. The rain won't come in when they"re open and they vent better than the sliders. New ain't always better.
shirley munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 05:01 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
Hi Kurt!
We have an 84 Boler with slide windows. Keep your cranky type ones. When I have mine wideopen only 1/2 the window area is actually open whereas with yours you have 100 percent ventilation. I understand that there are repair kits for the crank systems. The only advantage that I have is a larger door window. You'll apreciate it on a hot day.
Jim
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:34 PM   #6

ya, I will keep them for now.

When I replace the windows can I use the stainless panhead screws instead of rivets, or do I have to rivet them back in?
Old 06-01-2006, 09:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Kurt, the Hehr windows in my Scamp are installed with anodized aluminum screws. You might want to consider using nylon washers between the screw and the aluminum frame...if you're using stainless steel screws.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 03:56 PM   #8

Pulled the windows out today. Boy thats a lot of work.

I am still looking into a suitable washer. I do like the nylon ones for helping keeping the water out.

Does anyone know what size hardware I should use when 'bolting' the windows back in??

I bought a box of 10-24 machine screws and accorn nuts for the hardware to replace the rivets in my Boler but find them to be too large and I may take them back for something smaller. They seem too wide in diameter and too long. Expecially too long for the windows.
One more Q also what kind of nut has everyone use on the inside to hold the windows in place. I believe the accord nuts will get in the way of the interior trim piece.

Thanks all!!!

Tags
boler, windows