Removing the icebox - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2014, 09:16 AM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Removing the icebox

Two screws were easy. The other two are under the door, and the door seems to be held on by two larger, softer screws and I'm concerned about ruining them when I try to remove them. Is there a trick to this that I don't know? I want to insulate the icebox so I have to be able to put it back, can't just ruin the door.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:36 AM   #2

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
insulation no worky

Not to poop on your plan, but insulting the icebox is not going to help. The problem with an icebox is that every time you open it, all of the cold air drops out. This is probably the main source of heat gain (cold loss) for the icebox. While a little more insulation may help a tiny amount, it is not going to give you the results you want.

Best of luck.
KevinScamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:54 AM   #3

Registry
It isn't really the icebox- I'm insulating the wall of the trailer behind the icebox. It's paper-thin and you can see light through it, and it will make a big difference in the rate of ice melting. (Door is rarely opened so that's not the issue.) I insulated the closet last summer and it made a huge difference that you could feel when you open the door of the closet.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #4

Trailer: Compact Jr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Two screws were easy. The other two are under the door, and the door seems to be held on by two larger, softer screws and I'm concerned about ruining them when I try to remove them. Is there a trick to this that I don't know? I want to insulate the icebox so I have to be able to put it back, can't just ruin the door.
Do you mean the hinge pins, Bobbie? I screwed one up on Sis' trailer and had to make a new one. Better soak them with penetrating oil for a while before trying to loosen them.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #5

Registry
I guess they are hinge pins but they have a flat screw head. Wouldn't budge and I didn't want to mess them up so the ice box is still in.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:55 PM   #6

Trailer: Compact Jr
Can you perhaps just slide insulation up behind the icebox from below?
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:20 AM   #7

Registry
That's what I'll probably do- I have the microwave out right now and am debating putting it back or not. I don't use it much. Not sure what I'd put in that space if I don't. Maybe one big drawer where the two smaller ones were, or a couple of slide-in baskets.

Tags
vin