Removing the rotten section of floor - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1985 16 ft Scamp
Ohio
Removing the rotten section of floor

Hi Group!

Today I was going to run new circuits for the electric heater and the air conditioner. I wanted one designated circuit for the a/c and heat. That way I wouldn't overload any one circuit. Since I won't be running heat and A/C at the same time, one circuit will do. (I like to use an electric skillet for breakfast, and I have a drip coffee maker, and a toaster) In the process of looking where I wanted to route the Romex, I cleaned all the nooks and crannies. While doing that, I discovered some very dark, stained particle board in the closet where someone previously had installed an A/C. I poked the floor with a screwdriver and threw the floor it went. I was planning on having the wire strung and start to do a deep cleaning. So, instead, I removed the tall wardrobe cabinet directly to the left of the door so I could access the floor in front of the wheel well.

Here are some shots of what I have so far. Tomorrow I buy fiberglass mat, resin, hardener, and a piece of pressure treated plywood. I can't in good conscience use OSB or particle board, although it seems have held up well after 26 years. I suspect that one of the previous owners failed to ensure that the condensation from the A/C had a safe route outside.

The previous owner had already done the the floor in the back so this should be it for floor repair.
Attached Thumbnails
IM001520.jpg   IM001526.jpg  

BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #2

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
I appreciate the fact that you make improvements while making repairs. The PT ply might be more expensive, but marginally, and a bit more difficult to find but... Makes a lot more sense than osb or worse yet -particle board. Best of luck w/ your repairs/renovations.
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:52 AM   #3

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1985 16 ft Scamp
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid Larsen View Post
I appreciate the fact that you make improvements while making repairs. The PT ply might be more expensive, but marginally, and a bit more difficult to find but... Makes a lot more sense than osb or worse yet -particle board. Best of luck w/ your repairs/renovations.
Hi Reid

Thanks for your support. When I went to buy materials yesterday, I ended up with exterior grade plywood. I got the repair pieces cut and fitted and today's agenda include coating the patch pieces with resin and installing them. I am hoping to get the wardrobe bolted and riveted back into place. Since I haven't done this kind of work for almost 30 years, it is slow going but the basic skills seem to be returning.

I have found that the information presented on this forum by all of the knowledgeable and friendly people act as a refreshers for many things I have forgotten over the years. I know that I'll be saying this many times over the course of my repairs, but thank you to everyone that has taken the time to share what they know and have done. Things like the wiring diagrams and simple how-to's about fiberglassing, which I had only done once before on my 72-72 Pla-Pac's roof. (The clear dome was busted out when I bought that so I filled the hole)

Before I bought this, I was unaware at how readily parts were through the Scamp Parts Department. Everyone there have been very helpful and interested in hearing about one of their older units being brought back to life.

Sometimes I read on this forum about people asking what fiberglass RV to purchase. I love them all but for me, availability of parts is a huge factor. Something as simple and inexpensive as the rear jack handle. Not a single dealer in this town had one in stock. The same goes for 30 amp land line male plug end. I ended up buying a new 25 foot land line with the plug from Scamp for not a lot more than some local dealers wanted for just the plug....after they ordered it.

Anyhow, thanks everyone!
Michael
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote