Renewing gelcoat surface - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2003, 02:27 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Renewing gelcoat surface

:wave

I have a 1997 36' Carriage 5th wheel. It sat in a dealer's lot for over a year exposed to the sun. As a result it is dull and ucky looking. I would like to shine this baby up and get it looking all spiffy.

I need some advice on what is the easiest way to get this done.
I sure don't mind putting in a bit of elbow grease, but this is a big sucker, so I would like to use the easiest method - that works - as possible.

I'm in Texas and needless to say,it is hotter than a firecracker and the sun is brutal. So many of the products I have checked into say not to use in the sun. Dang hard to get out of the sun down here this time of year!!

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 06:17 AM   #2

Lots of Help

There's been a ton of information posted for this condition. Use the Search button (top right-hand corner) of the window. Put in any item you wish to search for.....if you search for wax, or gelcoat..you're going to get lots and lots of hits.

If you don't need to do anything other than clean and wax, several folks are using Nu-Way to wax their rigs...it can be applied in direct sunlight (although I'm not sure you'll want to work in all that heat, it's fine for the wax). That's what I've been using and am perfectly happy with it. Also, I use a power buffer, strictly for speed. Nu-Way goes on and comes off pretty darn easy by hand.

Wax on, wax off:sunny

Old 06-16-2003, 07:42 AM   #3

Thanks Donna

:o

I knew there had to be tons of info on cleaning gelcoat since the forum is about fiberglass trailers, but I didn't see the search function when I posted that. Now, I have found it - that little print in the top right corner! Probably would have seen it if it was in GIANT print. LOL!

I think I need to use an oxidation remover. I tried just using wax and although it did give it a little bit of a shine, I wasn't happy with it.

Old 06-16-2003, 09:31 AM   #4

3M has several fiberglass finishing products. There are two in particular that look good for restoring the gel-coat finish.

The FIBERGLASS RESTORER & WAX removes heavy oxidation and their FIBERGLASS CLEANER & WAX will remove light to medium oxidation.

I just bought the RESTORER and tried a small patch on my '99 Casita and am real happy with the results. I just need to find the time to finish it.

I bought the 3M FIBERGLASS RESTORER & WAX at West Marine.

Here's a link to 3M™ Marine Cleaners and Restorers

Old 06-18-2003, 01:09 PM   #5

In my opinion, you need to look at what Suz has done. then go from there. there is a nice group of posts on that very subject.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/read.php?TID=262
She did say last week the color didn't come back good and white until she got that M?? cleaner. I'm no good at remembering names. I want to say Mothers, but that sounds funny. expensive, but worth it. **Maguires** that's it, I think. Suz is out running around, so can't help me out with this.

Old 06-18-2003, 01:59 PM   #6

Llanago :jump-r
why not put Texas in your location box soooo when I find you in another post I won't wonder where in blue-blazesis :conf this person from. and I can just about garr-on-tee, I'll do that.