Renos-we need to do renos! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler
Good morning to all.
This past week, my wife and I became parents to a 1972 13 foot Boler (as yet, unnamed..). Our plan is threefold for its use:
For personal use;
For use in travelling to and staying at craft shows around BC;
For use as a second bedroom for our B&B business.

To that end, we plan to undergo a few mods over the next 6 months (I need it for a show in March), so I will be looking for help/advice/comments/criticisms, on the following subjects:
1-We plan on removing the furnace entirely. We're going to go with a ceramic heater instead, as we'll be at power hookups virtually the whole time. The furnace is a Wagonmaster, from Seattle. Could anyone give me advice on removing it? BTW, if you want it, free, come and get it. We're on the Sunshine Coast, north of Vancouver, BC. We plan on putting in a winerack in its place(doesn't every Boler need one?)
2-We're going to do some interior painting; my DW would like to paint the insulation as well. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions on type of paint for the fiberglass?
3-The seam tape on the insulation, has, for the most part, been removed by a prior owner. Anyone found a reliable replacement?
4-The cover for the front window has a type of molding around it, which, given its age, is brittle. The previous owner has suggested that Peterbilt trucks use a similar product. Are there any others?
5-The door seal on the LUCO icebox is a bit tatty. Any suggestions there?
6-The entry door molding is thrashed, so needs to be replaced. Anyone?
7-Has anyone replaced their sink? Ours has a VERY corroded drain. Still usable, but, you know, tacky looking!
I'm also seeking input on the electrical. The taillights are now LED, so great there. My vehicle(2004 Honda Element, FWD) has a 4 way plug, but the Boler has a 7 way for the deep cycle battery on board. I jury-rigged the connections(read: cut them off)so that the trailer had the essentials. I'm thinking of the following, and I welcome your thoughts:
a-go to Princess Auto, get a 7-way that concerts to a 4 way, re-install 4 way in Honda.
b-go to a battery charger,l ike the Nautilus from Canadian Tire, to put a charge on the deep cycle unit.

So, again, my thanks up front to all who are willing to put their experience in my hands. As a forum member elsewhere with experience in my craft(concrete art),I enjoy helping others.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Rick
Rick Harmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:26 AM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Rick,

There are plenty of willing and knowledgeable people here to help (lots of threads on Bolers!). There is also a wealth of information on just about everything.

You might want to start by using the search bar and see what threads come up that have already addressed some of your interests. There are open discussions on paint, wall cover (including seam tape - 3M double stick, paint over it, or Scamp sells some on its site...)furnaces, plumbing, electrical and more. Do a search starting with Boler, then add a concern ( Boler furnace).

Also check out the resources pages.

I know all the Boler owners are waiting to help so,

Good Luck and Welcome.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
Welcome to the forum, Rick

2-We're going to do some interior painting; my DW would like to paint the insulation as well. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions on type of paint for the fiberglass?

If you're talking about painting the ensolite, there are a number of different ways people have gone about it and been happy. I do know that people have been successful with acrylic latex (home type).

Before you paint the Ensolite, though, note that it can take an amazing amount of scrubbing and cleaning products without being ruined, so you may choose to clean it and not paint it.

If you're talking the fiberglass "furniture," I think a really good paint would be a 2-part linear polyurethane (LPU) such as Alwgrip or etc. People have also used 1-part paints such as Interlux Brightsides. It's easier to use but not as durable as the 2-part. Also, Canadians have used Melamine paint.

3-The seam tape on the insulation, has, for the most part, been removed by a prior owner. Anyone found a reliable replacement?

Totally available either from Scamp's parts department, or someplace like U-line. It's a foam tape such as a 3M. Originally sticky on two sides and the outside dusted with talcum powder, but now you can just buy the sticky on one side kind and avoid having to deal with a sticky side facing into the camper.

4-The cover for the front window has a type of molding around it, which, given its age, is brittle. The previous owner has suggested that Peterbilt trucks use a similar product. Are there any others?

Trimlok is one version of the product used there (I think the Peterbilt trucks would use the seal around the window "glass" itself; not the window cover).
http://www.trimlok.com/regular_trim.aspx

6-The entry door molding is thrashed, so needs to be replaced. Anyone?

Not sure which molding you mean; around the edge of the door may be the same Trimlok product as above.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
We replaced our sink. I didn't like the shallow depth of the original & found an 8" deep bar sink on Ebay. Now the water doesn't splash out when we use the sink & I can wash dishes so much easier. We also removed the original faucet & replaced it with a tall bar faucet. This works so much better!

Scamp sells the seam tape & also the molding that goes around the door. The Parts guy there might be able to tell you whether it would fit your Boler. Lots of these things will work on other brands, so it might.

Have fun renovating & post pics for us to see!

Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:11 AM   #5

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I removed all the peeling trim tape and filled the small gaps in the ensolite insulation with white acrylic caulk. Then I primed the ensolite with Zinzer primer and top coated it with glossy white enamel.

This was done three years ago and has held up well. The glossy enamel sure is easier to clean than the original vinyl surface of the ensolite.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote