Renovations to a 1984 Scamp 13' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 84 Scamp 13 ft
This is the trailer I bought.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...5&hl=moyock

I need to have room for my son and a 50 lbs Boxer/Fencejumper mix dog. So, I ripped out the bathroom mod performed by the previous owner. It was well done. However I noticed that the OSB under the front was not coated by resin. The top was well covered by fiberglass and resin. There were several pieces of the OSB which had flaked off of the bottom.

I did not want to build over the existing floor only to have it rot out in a few years. Also the curbisde piece had one miss cut hole, patched with an aluminum plate, and the hole for the black water drain of the toliet previously installed. In the process of removing the OSB, I'm pretty sure that I cut through the tabs holding the fibergalss to the shell.

On the list for tomorrow is to finish removing the OSB at the front. I have already purchased 1/2 inch exterior grade plywood and the resin to coat it. I'll cut and dry fit the plywood, coat it in resin and then install it using fiberglass tape to subsitute for the cut away tabbing. I'll use stainless steel screws to screw it down.

My next delimia will be to decide whether or not to rebuild the front buk system or try something like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scamp_Remodel.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	20424

Name:	Scamp_Remodel_2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	20425

The black rectangle is the current stove top, the square to curbside is a new sink 15x15 inches. The open bay underneath the stove is the room for my Engel MT 45 12VDC/120VAC compressor type fridge. There is room for a four inch deep drawer underneath the fridge. On the street side is a 28 inch mattress with crib type bar to keep my son safe. The open area furthest forward would probably be closed off until my son needed the legroom. The upper cabinets are the existing Scamp ones. The large curved piece is there to provide support for the shell and provide a bit of visual separation from the rear bed.

The main driver behind this is the size of my Engel fridge; it won't fit under the Scamp cabinets. The drawbacks are that the configuration will only sleep three people; a new child would mean a new trailer. On the upside there will be more storage and more counter space.

The alternative is to build my own front couch and bunk bed system.

I'll get some pictures posted later.

Thanks,
Tate
Tate R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:15 PM   #2

Well, the simple replace the front portions of the floor is now a complete floor replacement. The rear floor was waterlogged underneath the A/C unit. There is also mold on the curbside of the trailer and rot in the ledges for the dinette seats. The front and rear sections of the floor are removed. I plan to replace them, then replace the section under the kitchen cabinet and the kitchen floor.

Name:	IMG_3911_1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	20448

Name:	IMG_3917_1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	20449

I'm a bit frustrated; I expected to rather quickly remove the bathroom installed by the previous owner and then get to camping.

Oh, well. I have this time to improve things.

A few questions for the board:

1) Since I have the rear dinette seats removed anyway should I just build a dedicated bed platform and make better use of the storage?

2) Should I install an access hatch in the hole where the A/C was? I am thinking of making a storage area accessed through that hole where I could store the stablizer jacks and anything else that might be dirty.

3) If I make the rear a dedicated bed, then am I correct in thinking that making the front into a dinette/sofa would provide good flexibility?

Thanks,
Tate
Old 05-24-2009, 06:37 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
1) Since I have the rear dinette seats removed anyway should I just build a dedicated bed platform and make better use of the storage?

2) Should I install an access hatch in the hole where the A/C was? I am thinking of making a storage area accessed through that hole where I could store the stablizer jacks and anything else that might be dirty.

3) If I make the rear a dedicated bed, then am I correct in thinking that making the front into a dinette/sofa would provide good flexibility?
1+3) A full-time bed in the back is popular with the folks who also make a 2-person dinette in front. I would be careful about loading all of that new under-bed storage, as it would affect the hitch weight dynamics...

2) I am a firm believer of "If life hands you Lemons, make Lemonade." I think yours is an excellent idea!
Old 05-24-2009, 07:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I personally would leave it so it can be made into a bed. The reason being that you might want to be able to set up a table in inclement weather. Someplace to play games or color. I guess you could do the same thing with lap tables.

There is a Scamp deluxe factory set up with an L shaped kitchen at the front. I think in that model the bed is bigger (54") and the closet is smaller.

You could just do the bunk set up in the front with a bed guard for your son. We used one with our Jon when he was little, he never fell out of his bunk and it was one close to the ceiling!
Old 05-25-2009, 07:52 PM   #5

Quote:
I personally would leave it so it can be made into a bed. The reason being that you might want to be able to set up a table in inclement weather. Someplace to play games or color. I guess you could do the same thing with lap tables.

There is a Scamp deluxe factory set up with an L shaped kitchen at the front. I think in that model the bed is bigger (54") and the closet is smaller.

You could just do the bunk set up in the front with a bed guard for your son. We used one with our Jon when he was little, he never fell out of his bunk and it was one close to the ceiling!
Plan is to make the front dinette mod and have it convertible to a bunk for Truman to sleep. If I build it right, I'll still be able to add the upper bunk later.

By keeping the rear bed a bed all the time, I'll have a soft place for Truman to play or take a nap on during the day. Katherine and I will be able to use the dinette during bad weather naps. And Katherine had already suggested the use of lap desks or those nifty breakfast in bed type trays.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #6

Since this is headed into a major renovation, I have many more questions:

Electrical issues:

1) There is no converter or charger or battery on the Scamp. My first response is to just rewire for 12 volt DC and install a smart battery charger for those occasions when I have shore power available. Should I do that, is it better to run a positive and negative "ring" around the trailer walls or should I run a positive and negative line from the DC bus to each fixture?

I plan to eventually have a LED in each corner, two amidships facing aft (giving four at each corner of the rear bed), two undercounter lights, and porch light. I would wire 12 volt outlets probably one in each corner and two on/near the kitchen cabinet. Also, I want to install a Maxx Fan above the kitchen area.

Solar is definitely in my future, so what do I need to do now in order to make solar plug and play later?

Also, I am completely rewiring the trailer lights. After 25 years, the harness had been hacked a bit too much. Going with LED lights there as well. I'm wiring in a seven wire plug with the idea towards upgrading to brakes on the axle in the future.

2) The ensolite has seen better days. Would I better of replacing it or using the reflectix/ratfur combo? Is there another option?

3) I have an email out to Scamp concerning the availabilities of jalousie style windows. Should that not pan out where else might I look to find those type windows? I want the jalousie style since I am not putting in a A/C unit; I was raised without A/C so I know I'll be okay if there is airflow.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:42 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Katherine had already suggested the use of <strike>lap desks or</strike> [b]those nifty breakfast in bed type trays.
This is what we use on the Fiber Stream's King Size bed. I would advise that you have at least 2 plump pillows per person to use as back rest while you are eating in bed. Make sure you have enough bed width to place the trays side-by-side comfortably. While this is not an issue on our King Size, you might experience a tighter fit. The person who gets the spot next to the back wall/window might want to get in and out once the person next to the sink/closet is settled. Think window-seat/aisle-seat in an airplane...

Tags
scamp