repacking bearings first time! help needed! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Tom The "offending" piece looks very much like the two pieces in the middle of the picture for the Dexter E-Z Lube Spindle Nut Kit #K71-622-00. Scamp has just given me the Dexter website (which is helpful) but all it says re: removing the hub is that "For E-Z Lube axles produced after February 2002, a new type of retainer is used. Gently pry off retainer from the nut and set aside." So I guess I'll try to pry off gently (as Darwin suggests) and plan on buying a new set before re-installing everything. Thanks for all the help, and I'm sure glad I started looking into this now instead of when I want to head off in the Scamp!

Richard Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #22

THE WICKED WITCH IS DEAD!!!! Hooray! The offending retainer/washer is off! It only took a bit of careful prying with two small screwdrivers and LOTS of caution. It appears to be quite reusable. We'll see..... Now for the next problem. Stay tuned, soap opera fans! And thanks again for all the help, advice, and humour. Richard
Old 04-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #23

I find the hardest part to be driving in the new seal. It must go in exactly straight, if it cocks sideways, don't force it!
Old 04-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #24

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Davis View Post
THE WICKED WITCH IS DEAD!!!! Hooray! The offending retainer/washer is off! It only took a bit of careful prying with two small screwdrivers and LOTS of caution. It appears to be quite reusable. We'll see..... Now for the next problem. Stay tuned, soap opera fans! And thanks again for all the help, advice, and humour. Richard
You are correct, the retainer/washer is reusable. They're pretty hard to mangle, sounds like you were cautious removing it and you should be OK. Keep diving in deeper, you'll do fine!

Spanke
Old 04-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #25

Uh oh! The hardest part is still ahead?!? Yikes! But everything seems great so far, what with all the advice and my glacial pace while waiting for the next go-ahead! I haven't I'll buy some new seals tomorrow and start the reassembly. The fun part will be starting on the OTHER hub! (with some confidence?) Richard
Old 04-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Davis View Post
Uh oh! The hardest part is still ahead?!?............ Richard

It ain't rocket surgery, but I've proven repeatedly that there is always a complicating factor.