Repainting - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2002, 03:48 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Repainting

I have an early 70's 13foot fiberglass trailer made in Northern California under the name Tote&Tarry. It's truly time to do a facelift on the poor thing.

One question is whether to spray car paint or use 1-part Marine paint like Interlux either sprayed or tip&roll. Another option might be to have my boatyard spray gelcoat.

The other problem is where to find a replacement for the wood-grain trim strip, about 4inches wide, that accents the midline of the trailer. The one that it was manufactured with has neat gold accent stripes plus a heavy black base underneath and is quite thick, not just some contact paper. I can attach a photo of the trim if it helps and the forum handles attachments

Thanks for any pointers.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 03:57 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi Lyle!

Hi Lyle! We'd love to see some pictures of the Tote and Tarry ... in any shape! Webmaster Michael can help you post them!

As for painting, re-gelcoating, etc., it would probably be more economical to paint with Interlux. My son just bought a new-to-him, but well-used 1978 fiberglass sailboat. He conferred with a bunch of fellow owners, even joined a sailing club ... and they all say use Interlux. The old time sailors are telling my son that he could do it himself with good results, provided he prepare the surface according to directions.

So, if it's go enough for boats, it's gotta be good for our fiberglass trailers!

As for pin-striping, I've always done business with Sportwing. I bought a bunch of different pinstriping over the years ... even put some color-matching pinstriping to encircle my fiberglass propane-gas bottle.

I'm sure they would be able to set you up with something ... or point you in the right direction.

http://www.sportwing.com/pinstriping/

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote