Repair Costs Approximation - Trillium 1300 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2009, 03:32 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hello,
I looked at a Trillium 1300 1978 for sale and wasn't sure about the costs and availability of parts for repair and replacement.
I would appreciate partial answers as well and hopefully I can add it all up.
Of course it may be sold by then.

- Rear Stabilizer Jack bent from dragging while open - needs professional help
- Red Lense (small rectangular) passenger side broken - Available?
- Rear Lense (large rectangular) broken - Available?
- Moulding Strip black around entire center line needs replacement - Is this available?
- Interior T-moulding (white) many feet have rippled from heat and needs replacement because won't snap back in to place to support edges of foam interior spongy vinyl covering material - Is this available?
- Front Rock Shield Support Rods snapped off at attachment point to aluminum framing - may need professional help
- Needs tires including spare
- Upper cubby shelves a bit flimsy, may need re-support
Other than those, it was nice.
There was no fan or air.
It did have a furnace, condition unknown.
The fridge got cold (the element felt like it might ice over quickly)
The trailer tongue was an older type and small ball and seemed a bit undersized for safety.
I think it needed chains for the safety.
It had an older style six or seven prong female about an inch in diameter (probably need a change or adapter to fit my newer male)
It seems like this stuff is going to add up. What do you think?
Mitchell
Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
Hello,
I looked at a Trillium 1300 1978 for sale and wasn't sure about the costs and availability of parts for repair and replacement.
I would appreciate partial answers as well and hopefully I can add it all up.
We have a 1978 Trillium that has needed some fixing up. Depends on what you pay for what you described. If you can get a deal (I'll say somewhat under $3000 US), then fixing it up will be worth it. The Trilliums are [b]n i c e!
You can get exterior molding strip - not expensive, no problem. I'm still looking for the T molding for the inside, as we're missing a few feet of it, too. Tires are no problem to replace - $60 to $75 each, depending on brand. I bought a pair of Carlisle trailer tires this Spring and really like them. You can add a fan (we've added a Fantastic Vent fan and love it - $200). The rock shield support may be the toughest one to fix, though I'm not up on replacement lenses. No matter what condition, you can count on this: stuff you have to fix/replace and other stuff you want to do [b]is going to add up! - even if the trailer is in tip-top shape. We bought ours last Sept. It was road-ready and suitable for travel right away, but we've already put several hundreds of dollars in upgrades and modifications, making it the way we want it.
Good luck in what ever you decide to do.

...MarvonW.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
The biggest expense would be replacing the fridge if it does not work on propane so I would make sure it does in fact work.

Vintage trailer sells a number of items that may help you, for example lights:
http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...Lights_s/8.htm

The T-Moulding can be heated in warm water and reinserted. However, it does tend to contract during cold weather again.

Trillium RV in california is selling LED replacement lights which I would recommend:
http://www.trilliumrv.com/Parts/PartsList.htm

The shelves you should be able to screw in again - they are attached to the plywood window surrounds.

My 76 did not come with the original rock guard but I was able to rebuild it. Most of these early trailers used off the shelf parts to keep costs down so you may be able to pick up those parts at a hardware store.

Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:49 PM   #4

one grand total is Here
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #5

Whoops, I think Ken meant to post directly to:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...st&p=290193
Old 07-29-2009, 01:04 PM   #6

Hello,
Thank you Mary Watson, Booker B. and Ken C.

Mary, where did you get the exterior belly band black moulding strip?
The framing for the rock guard is so thin that it would appear to really limit repair options.

Booker, I went to the links' sites, but the light lenses did not match in shape and size to the ones on the trailer. Do you have any other ideas on where to get the matching parts?

Ken, thanks for the link to the refurbished trailer. This one doesn't require anything that extensive, but I am concerned that little parts will add up.
For instance, if I can not find matching replacement lenses, I would have to replace all of them, even the good ones, so all would match. Also, I saw on one site that a Bargman retro lense (not the same as these) was something like thirty dollars. Of course new replacements would mean fiberglass patch work and new holes. The rear lenses are huge; Anything smaller will reveal marks and discoloration (I'm assuming).
Or, if I can not get the broken rear stabilizer jack fixed, I would probably have to replace both, again so they would match. I have not seen a replacement that looks like the same as those on the trailer.

I did see on one of the links that the interior T-moulding would no longer be available. Too bad. The moulding around the area where the table mounts to the wall has seen appreciable shrinkage of the moulding and someone has even put some kind of apoxy at one of the corners attempting to keep the moulding strips in place.

Any further suggestions as to parts and costs would be appreciated.

I am reserving modification as a last and for now, undesireable option.
Mitchell
Old 07-29-2009, 10:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
...where did you get the exterior belly band black moulding strip?
At my local RV service center. Just take a piece out of the channel with you to have to match with what they sell.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:25 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
See if Trillium RV may have some of the items you need. They're remanufacturing the Trillium now and although some of the items have changed due to better technology/manufacturing, other items are the same: Trillium RV

The rear stabilizer jacks are readily available at a number of RV parts places. But you may want to consider changing to a different system, such as: BAL Stablizing Jacks
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:04 PM   #9

Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
Paul should have the lens you require.
http://www.fibreglass-rv.ca/

He is in Canada but can mail them to you. Good luck with your project. You will love it even more when it is finished and you take it out on your first trip.
Don N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:52 PM   #10

Thanks Don, I could not remember the link to that site.

Mitchell, I agree with Donna that you may want to replace the originals. They are not fine-tunable so generally I get our Trillium level, then drop the hitch a bit, drop and set the stablizers and then raise the hitch until the trailer is level again and there is a bit of weight on the jacks. It's a pain in the butt.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:21 PM   #11

Hello,
Thanks Donna D. and Don N too.
I like those screw down jacks. I guess I would have the old ones grinded off. I believe they are welded on.
I'll have to contact Paul for the price on those lenses, although they are slightly different then what I saw on the trailer. I guess replace all side and tail.

For now I would like to thank everyone and put an end to this thread.
I will contact the seller and see if she wishes to compromise on the price to account for the expenses for replacements and repairs now that I have a decent idea of where the expenses will begin.
Mitchell
Old 07-31-2009, 04:37 PM   #12

Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
Mitchell, the pricing should be on Pauls site I thought. The tail lens cost me $50/pair shipped to me in Ontario.
Don N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium