repairing a Triggs. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2018, 01:45 PM   #1

Name: Joy
Trailer: Triggs
Iowa
repairing a Triggs.

I joined this Fiberglass RV site some time ago to see if anyone could help me figure out how to do some repairs on it. I was told that I should go someplace else because I did not have a all molded fiberglass trailer. My monstrosity is indeed a molded ed all in one piece trailer. It is a Triggs camper with two horse stalls in back. It would be considered a horse trailer with living quarters in the horse world. It is a rare trailer as there were only a few made in 1988 before the plant closed. Maybe there were a few more made before 1988. I met a man that is a trailer repair person that worked at the plant where my trailer was made. I hope that I can be allowed to be part of this community.
stoneponyiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:16 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I sure would like to se some photos. Sounds like you have a very unusual trailer.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:21 PM   #3

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Sounds very cool, pics please! I expect folks here could help with your issues, aside from composting. Welcome!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:36 PM   #4

Iowa
reparing a Triggs

I tried to get a picture to come up but it didn't. what did I do wrong. I chose one using the browse button.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:46 PM   #5

Iowa
Triggs

did it show up?
Attached Thumbnails
triggs trailer1.jpeg   triggs kitchen.jpg  

Old 08-10-2018, 02:53 PM   #6

Iowa
it is not fantasitc. I have thought about a lot of ways to make it better. the bathroom sucks.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:54 PM   #7

Iowa
by the way I have cleaned the outside since the picture was taken
Old 08-10-2018, 03:30 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
It's still not Molded Fiberglass. The sides are flat. Fiberglass can't be totally flat or couldn't get it out of the mold.
There are people that can repair that kind of a trailer. You might try one them and I believe there's Triggs forum for horse trailers.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:51 PM   #9

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
It looks like the top and front are molded pieces with flat fiberglass pre made panels used for the sides and some sore of structural support (wood, steel or aluminum) frame underneath.

It's not a two piece molded fiberglass trailer, but there are many similar features shared with both construction methods.

As far as structural information, there are probably not a lot of members on this forum with experience with type construction. Plumbing and electrical systems are similar in most all trailers. Good luck.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:22 PM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
A good tutorial on repairing fibreglass:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ass-52498.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:08 PM   #11

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
What exactly is your repair need?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:46 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Hi there Joy, everyone is welcome here. Some of the folks here have a fine eye for detail, so they've spotted features on your trailer that seem to indicate it has sides made of layered materials laminated together, with the outer layer being fiberglass. But I suppose it's conceivable that the sides were molded flat panels which are then affixed somehow to the roof and so on. It would be interesting to know if you can see any fiberglass on the interior wall surfaces; that would tell us a lot. What's it look like in the horse stalls?

Please let us know what repairs you're talking about. Holes? Surface abrasions? Something else?
Edit: I found your old thread! http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ner-66867.html

My daughter would probably go wild if she had your trailer.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:57 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
If you are still working on the leaky water lines, it seems like a piece of it could be taken to a hardware store and matched up for size to some replacement stuff. Usually it's plastic tube that you can sort of see through, about 3/8" diameter or something like that. But maybe yours is different. We might benefit from detailed photos or descriptions. of any components you hope to work on. Post #7 in this thread http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ics-43021.html explains how to add pictures. Click "Go Advanced" and look for a tiny down-arrow next to the paperclip, and click on that.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:02 PM   #14

Name: Paul
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
If you are still working on the leaky water lines, it seems like a piece of it could be taken to a hardware store and matched up for size to some replacement stuff. Usually it's plastic tube that you can sort of see through, about 3/8" diameter or something like that. But maybe yours is different. We might benefit from detailed photos or descriptions. of any components you hope to work on. Post #7 in this thread http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ics-43021.html explains how to add pictures. Click "Go Advanced" and look for a tiny down-arrow next to the paperclip, and click on that.
As far as I know all RV's, Camp trailers, and mobile homes (prefabs) use PEX pipes. mention that at any hardware store and they will/should know what you are talking about. I live in "horse country" and have never seen your trailer and am hoping you will share your experiences with repairs and any mods you do.
Humblepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:37 PM   #15

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
PEX is a fairly recent choice for RVs. It is not the same chemical formula of plastics material that was used in older vintage models. But when people go to repair or replace the plumbing PEX is now the preferred choice of plumbing materials in RVs as it has a longer life span. It is also easy enough to use for a DIY job.

At the RV stores you can purchase plastic screw on fittings that will splice together the new PEX lines into the old original plastic plumbing lines. But whenever possible put in all new lines as the old ones are aging out and becoming more fragile every year.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:47 AM   #16

Name: Paul
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Thanks, I hadn't realized that PEX is a newer product.
Humblepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:07 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
PEX is also highly freeze-resistant, unlike the old plastic or copper tubing. Some good notes by a large coupling manufacturer:

PEX Plumbing, Piping and Tubing Problems & FAQs | SharkBite

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote