repairing wood floor - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2017, 06:42 AM   #1

Name: Tonnie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
repairing wood floor

Hi everyone!

I've just discovered that there is some wood rot in the floor of my 1979 Scamp. It is in the area below the back window on the farthest edge. There are a couple of small places through which I could see daylight which I've filled with JB Weld for wood. Great stuff, BTW.

Since it is just 1 " or so in at the most outer edges near the fiberglass lip, can I scab the wood from the top with larger pieces of plywood? Please say yes... I really don't want to replace that entire 4 X 8 sheet of plywood unless it's a safety issue!

I'm sure you've addressed this sort of question before, but I can't find it using search. Maybe I don't know what I'm doing... Wouldn't be the first time!:

Thanks,
Tondra (Tonnie)
Tonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:57 AM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
While I have some experience, not enough to offer anyone credible advice. What I will say is that it's all a matter of extent. Seeing daylight through the floor is not good.

Photos would be a great help, and probably the only way someone could give you a reasonable opinion.

Good luck.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:21 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
The floor holds up the shell off the frame. If not properly repaired the shell will settle on the frame rails and cracking can occur. You can cut out and repair floor sections it just depends on the extent of the rot if the whole rear section needs to be replaced. A patch just to cover a hole is just asking for trouble.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:29 PM   #4

Florida
Thanks for the input.

I don't want to put the shell in danger, so replacing the wood is in my near future!
Old 01-27-2017, 01:51 PM   #5

Name: Jack
Iowa
When we first got our scamp (02) I noticed a soft spot in same location that I estimated to be about the size of a quarter. First removed soft area and scraped till got to more solid decking. This enlarged spot to about 3" in diam. Next got a wood restorer kit from local menards. This entailed treating with liquid hardener/restorer and filling spot with an epoxy type putty from kit. Before I added putty I screwed a larger than hole piece to floor from underneath. After all set up repainted area and can not tell it was even patched from the inside and all has held up very well for 3yrs now.
Have also heard that bondo will work also but still have to treat the repair with the hardener.
jjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #6

Florida
Thanks Jack... The places I have are much larger than what you fixed. However, I do have a small 1" hole more in the middle of the area. I will do what you did there. I appreciate you input!