Replace sink drain hose 13' Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2010, 05:19 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Another newbie question. I tried the search but couldn't find what I need.
I have a '72 13' Trillium. I want to replace the sink drain hose but I can't access the fitting at the sink drain end. From the storage compartment on the driver's side the sink is blocked by the furnace exhaust vent. The outside access doors don't provide room either. Suggestions?
Thanks,
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:31 AM   #2

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / 2002 Honda Odyssey
If you pull the fridge out you'll have good access to both sides of the drain hose. If you do go to the trouble check the city hose for leaks while you are in there and you can check the hose to the hand pump, mine had a small leak at the tank connection that i discovered because I could see the water level drop in the slightly transparent hose over 24 hours.

Pulling the fridge: disconnect the black and white 12 v wires from the back access panel. unplug the 110v plug from the receptacle that is under the fridge platform (access from front Driver side hold). close the propane tank and then loosen the propane line connection at the back of the fridge (use two wrenches don't twist the valve on the fridge), it would be a good idea to cover both ends of the propane line to keep out debris. there were a few screws at the front of the fridge fastening it to the plywood underneath. Also check at the back, i had a temp control that had been screwed to the side of the exhaust shroud, i unscrewed it and temporarily hung it on the back of the fridge. I might be forgetting something but that should get you most of the way there.

In my case the fridge had a bulge in the sides that made it very tight to pull out, i slightly widened the opening using a sawsall with a fine tooth blade that made things easier to put back.

good luck

Kevin
Kevin Poll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:24 AM   #3

Quote:
If you pull the fridge out you'll have good access to both sides of the drain hose. If you do go to the trouble check the city hose for leaks while you are in there and you can check the hose to the hand pump, mine had a small leak at the tank connection that i discovered because I could see the water level drop in the slightly transparent hose over 24 hours.

Pulling the fridge: disconnect the black and white 12 v wires from the back access panel. unplug the 110v plug from the receptacle that is under the fridge platform (access from front Driver side hold). close the propane tank and then loosen the propane line connection at the back of the fridge (use two wrenches don't twist the valve on the fridge), it would be a good idea to cover both ends of the propane line to keep out debris. there were a few screws at the front of the fridge fastening it to the plywood underneath. Also check at the back, i had a temp control that had been screwed to the side of the exhaust shroud, i unscrewed it and temporarily hung it on the back of the fridge. I might be forgetting something but that should get you most of the way there.

In my case the fridge had a bulge in the sides that made it very tight to pull out, i slightly widened the opening using a sawsall with a fine tooth blade that made things easier to put back.

good luck

Kevin
Thanks Kevin but... Argh! Pull the fridge? There has to be a better way? It is apparent the fridge has been modified before. The trim around the door opening is clearly not factory. The fridge isn't working at the moment and I'm using it as an ice box but having just bought this gem I'm not anxious to pull the fridge in case I encounter a problem I can't deal with. I will not be using campground services so I have a 5 gal. fresh water tank with spigot for counter top water and I want to run a hose from the sink drain to a portable grey water tank I'll put in the storage area. I can easily disconnect the exterior end of the drain hose but it isn't long enough to reach into the grey tank. I can splice in an extra length of 3/4" ID clear hose if the original piece doesn't leak. I would prefer one piece of hose but... I'll try the splice if it will allow me to avoid pilling the fridge.

Follow up edit...
I pulled the fridge. Not as bad as I thought. The old hose was shot. I'll replace what I can from the opening while the fridge is out.

Thanks again,
Barrie
Old 07-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #4

Name: Larry
Trailer: Trillium
Arizona
Morning Barrie,
Had the same problem with my Trillium. Suggestion on gray water...
I just connect a short hose to the sink drain on outside of trailer
and put it in a 2 gallon bucket. No as elegant as a gray water tank,
but it is cheap, simple, and very easy to empty.
Regards, Larry H
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Morning Barrie,
Regards, Larry H
Thanks Larry,
I thought of that but 2 issues. It's a bit of a pain to move the grey tank in and out out the camper plus... the current hose leaks and needs to be replaced anyway.
I pulled the fridge and removed the old hose but... it's Sunday and I live in the country. The only store near that's open, Canadian Tire, doesn't have a 3/4" ID hose. It will have to wait till tomorrow.

Cheers,
Barrie
Old 07-20-2010, 08:48 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Morning Barrie,
Regards, Larry H
Just an FYI.... in some camping places, this is not allowed. Open buckets attract bugs, critters and spill. It may be okay if connected to an enclosed container like a blue tote. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium