Replaced my Converter, Fridge now works but Water Pump still out - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Trillium (USA)
My fridge was not working so I tested my converter and the manufacturer just sent me a new one since it was putting out the wrong voltage. I just plugged the new one in and the fridge works! Alas, the water pump still won't go on. I reset the circuit breakers and checked the fuse. Both are ok. I checked for a reset switch on the pump and couldn't find one. I thought the new converter would also fix the problem with the furnace (not that I need it now) and it wouldn't go on either. Any thoughts about what I should check before I pay for help.

Thanks, Lloyd
lloyd cicetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:09 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hi lloyd. I could use a little more information. With the converter unplugged, do things work? What is the battery voltage? Could a bad battery be loading the system down? Does the water pump work if the fridge is off? Do the lights work? Do the lights dim when you turn on the fridge? Tell us what you find out. Without knowing more my guess is a bad battery. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:05 AM   #3

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
P. Raz

With the pump hooked to power trip the microswitch on the front of it manually, this is assuming allot first, like its a diaphragm pump in the shur-flo design.

On the front micro switch there is an indentation facing the diaphragm, put a small screw driver on the micro switch cam and press down, then listen for a clic, no clic? (some models are sealed and this cannot be done) or/next test the switch and see if its closed at all electrically with a light tester or vohm. The pump starts in the closed position, no circuit there? then replace the switch.

You may just want to jumper the two wires at the front of the pump, its easier to also test there, if it starts its the switch.

Always establish you have ground to the pump and + is live when you test, saves you owning switches when you do not need them.

This switch is a known issue and often sticks if unused any period of time.

Happy Camping Safe Trails.

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:27 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Trillium (USA)
Quote:
Hi lloyd. I could use a little more information. With the converter unplugged, do things work? T[b]he lights work when unplugged.What is the battery voltage? [b]12 V Could a bad battery be loading the system down? [b]New battery Does the water pump work if the fridge is off? [b]NoDo the lights work? [b]Yes Do the lights dim when you turn on the fridge? [b]No Tell us what you find out. Without knowing more my guess is a bad battery. Raz
Raz, the answers are in boldface above in your quote. The fridge works without the converter on. Hope this info helps. Lloyd
lloyd cicetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
Raz, the answers are in boldface above in your quote. The fridge works without the converter on. Hope this info helps. Lloyd
What voltage was the faulty inverter putting out? Could it have burnt out the pump?

Regards,

Matt
Old 07-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Ok. From your info I will assume the battery is good, the new converter is working correctly and the only thing not working now that was working prior to replacing the converter is the water pump. Now I think Mr. Young is on the right track but before I pulled the pump out I'd identify which circuit on the converter supplies it. Turn the pump switch on. It should light up. Now pull fuses until it goes out. Thats your pump circuit. You now can cut the wires at the pump, connect your meter. Put the fuse in and see if there is 12v. If so, pull the pump . Once out you can test the switch, measure the windings, and see if it is in any way odoriferous! And don't forget to pull the fuse back out. Let us know how things go. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
Ok. From your info I will assume the battery is good, the new converter is working correctly and the only thing not working now that was working prior to replacing the converter is the water pump. Now I think Mr. Young is on the right track but before I pulled the pump out I'd identify which circuit on the converter supplies it. Turn the pump switch on. It should light up. Now pull fuses until it goes out. Thats your pump circuit. You now can cut the wires at the pump, connect your meter. Put the fuse in and see if there is 12v. If so, pull the pump . Once out you can test the switch, measure the windings, and see if it is in any way odoriferous! And don't forget to pull the fuse back out. Let us know how things go. Raz
One comment - It may be possible to disconnect the pump wires without cutting them. Mine has some crimp on spade lugs going to the switch.

Regards,

Matt

Tags
fridge