Replaced Window Crank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2016, 08:33 AM   #1

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Replaced Window Crank

When we bought our 1982 Scamp 13 last May, and were towing it home, I glanced in the rearview mirror and saw the panes of our curbside jalousie window lifting 2-3 inches from the frame as we drove. Apparently the window crank was stripped and wouldn't tighten down into a self locking position.

We solved this problem by using duct tape to tape the window closed as we drove, then removing the tape at camp and it just became a part of our routine. Well, duct tape is sticky when it sits in the sun and I decided that I didn't want to do that this season and I didn't need to be afraid of replacing/fixing something on my own.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, when I decided to order three different kinds of mechanisms from Vintage Trailer Supply and just hope that one would work. SO HAPPY to discover that part number VTS-2001R- Slant Sill Torque Operator-Right was a perfect fit for our window! Removing the old and replacing it took about ten minutes. I don't know what I was afraid of! I've now got new screen on order and will be polishing up the aluminum frames once it arrives and I replace the screens.

Crazy how being able to do one tiny repair has given me confidence that I can do more!! Which is good, because our sink drain snapped off on our last trip, so that's an upcoming repair as well

Click image for larger version

Name:	181a28c2-7570-4a3e-bf36-b5b6287b2f3f.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	96614
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:02 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Great job! Those old jalousie windows are sure nice. How is the weatherstripping?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:03 AM   #3

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
Nice fix! I love the confidence I get from fixing something new, too...good luck on the sink!
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:18 AM   #4

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Great job! Those old jalousie windows are sure nice. How is the weatherstripping?
So far, no leaks from either of the side or door windows. We were having an issue with the little window above the stove, so I replaced the shrunken seal that you can see in this photo, with new gray Hehr Standard Glass Seal from VTS as well. That was so easy I actually forgot I did it until just now! And we spent two days in torrential afternoon showers in Steamboat and NO LEAKS!! (also, all of that silicone that you see? That's from the PO. It's on my list to remove at some point!)

Name:	a49735cd-b543-483d-8cba-6635528595f9.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	96615

Name:	e00abd66-5c6a-4ab2-9358-55a7742fd801.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	96616
Old 06-21-2016, 09:21 AM   #5

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennifer View Post
Nice fix! I love the confidence I get from fixing something new, too...good luck on the sink!
Thank you! I feel like I need the well wishes on the sink. Such a weird thing to have happen, but we were on a six mile stretch of HWY 40 on the way to Steamboat where they have the road torn up. It was so bad. Even driving super slow things were bouncing around. Worst road we've been on. Something in the cabinet must have smashed against the drain, snapping it right off!
Old 06-21-2016, 09:37 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Replaced Window Crank

I think it's a pretty standard part, a little bulb-like thing that functions in place of a P-trap. Should be a straightforward repair. As with a lot of plumbing, getting the old stuff apart (without destroying the pieces you want to keep) and cleaning everything up is the hard part. Be glad you don't have a furnace under the sink!

I'll add my best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:53 AM   #7

Name: Kim
Trailer: Ventura
Manitoba
Ha! I was about tonpost same thing! I have a Ventura but that looks same shape as mine!

And my plastic thing under sink broke too only I'm unshure if broke in storage when gutting trailer,broke gutting or came broke :/ I'm waiting for the local rv store to get that part in yet
Cheyanna83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:02 AM   #8

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyanna83 View Post
Ha! I was about tonpost same thing! I have a Ventura but that looks same shape as mine!

And my plastic thing under sink broke too only I'm unshure if broke in storage when gutting trailer,broke gutting or came broke :/ I'm waiting for the local rv store to get that part in yet
Good luck on fixing yours! I finally have time to fix it today, so the Scamp is sitting out front, waiting for me to get out there and get to it! Hopefully it's as easy as it seems it should be!

And Jon, I'm VERY glad I won't have to work around a furnace! Not a lot of space to work as it already stands
Old 07-20-2016, 08:25 AM   #9

Manitoba
I watched a video saying u have to take frme apart to replace the gear...did u have to ???? If I can advoid taking whole bloody thing out be great lol
Old 07-20-2016, 08:42 AM   #10

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
I watched a video saying u have to take frme apart to replace the gear...did u have to ???? If I can advoid taking whole bloody thing out be great lol
NO!! One the Scamp, I went to the inside, and the screens in their frames come out in one piece. From the bottom, slide the frame up, as far into the upper lip as you can. This leaves a gap at the bottom and you can then use your fingers or a small flat screwdriver to get under that bottom edge, lift out slightly, and then slide down. The entire frame and screen should come out. I took all of mine out last night, because I'm replacing the screens today, too. I'll take a picture when I get out there this morning and try to get it loaded today, so you can have a bit of a visual, but you shouldn't have to take the frames apart, unless your Ventura is completely different!
Old 07-20-2016, 09:00 AM   #11

Manitoba
See if pic attached lol tech hates me lol
mine looks simmilar I think

Appreciate the help this been a huge learning path for me lol
Attached Thumbnails
20160720_084154.jpg  
Old 07-20-2016, 09:09 AM   #12

Manitoba
Screens I know how to take out I need to replace mine lol most screens have the mesh duct taped on lol
Video said to uninstall the whole window out of the camper I did that last year don't want to do that agine lol
Funny is when I pulled over to stop Pandora (my camper) flapping like a bird i had a hells angles gain stop and asked if I needed help lol most give them a bad rap but they seem nice! Lol they helped duct tape windows down and off I went agine lol
Old 07-20-2016, 09:11 AM   #13

Colorado
Registry
It looks like you may already have your screens out? So I started by taking out the screws to the torque operator that the crank goes in to. In the middle of the round bar, that goes across, from the torque operator, we had two additional screws.

Name:	f56e303a-4cbd-4230-81cd-eb52295a5470.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	97598
Take those out. This will allow you to slide the bar and pull it loose from the torque operator. Ours was sticky, so I really had to wiggle it to push it into itself, so yours might be the same.

Replace the torque operator, adjust your bar so it fits correctly (inside of our torque operator and on the bar, were little notches that needed to line up), put the two screws back in the bar, replace your handle and it's done.

I should have made a video because it took me forever to figure that out, but it's really easy once you know. If you more visuals, I'm off to the orthodontist with my girl, but can take a video later and upload it!
Old 07-20-2016, 09:13 AM   #14

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Screens I know how to take out I need to replace mine lol most screens have the mesh duct taped on lol
Video said to uninstall the whole window out of the camper I did that last year don't want to do that agine lol
Funny is when I pulled over to stop Pandora (my camper) flapping like a bird i had a hells angles gain stop and asked if I needed help lol most give them a bad rap but they seem nice! Lol they helped duct tape windows down and off I went agine lol
We spent all last summer duct taping our window closed! It works! Ha ha! I think I saw those same videos. Maybe I'll make one of my own anyway, just so others can have a clearer idea! I wish I could give you some of the screen I bought. It only came in a 25 foot roll, and with only four windows, I'm not even going to come close to using it all!
Old 07-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #15

Manitoba
Wow wounded if my bar has thatpart m have to look once off work

Going to get the gear boxes from vintage trailer latter ordered up
Screen is pricy where I live I been waiting and trying to find old window screens to upcycle ha! Lol
I'm not shire what previous owners did to screens I swear they played tennis with them or something lol most I was able to replace spine and have fairly back to gether lol always something with Pandora !
Old 07-20-2016, 11:49 AM   #16

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Cheyanna83,
I took the windows out of my Ventura a few days ago and have been cleaning them and have ordered the same part online from Vintage Campers because Vintage trailer supply was all out of the rt hand version.
I just went out and looked at the set up on our trailers and was able to get at the part without taking too much apart. I think you probably should be able to do it without taking out the window again.
On the side that the crank is on, there is a piece of gray plastic that runs the height of the window.
I removed that and took out all the screws on both sides of the bottom rod only.
I then took each side of the bottom rod off the crank bar that runs the height of the window.(pic 1)
I was able to move the left hand side up towards the top of the window (pic 2) and with some wiggling got it at enough of an angle that the crank mechanism on the right side came out of place and I was able to take it out and remove it from the rod. From there it would be a simple thing to put the new one onto the rod and reverse the process to get it into place and replace the screws.
I just noticed that one of the pictures is blurry, let me know if you want a better one.
Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2508.jpg   IMG_2510.jpg  

Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:16 PM   #17

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
When I was reading through the forums, I took note of things that applied to the Ventura and one was that we need to use the 1970s Boler Torque Bar Window Operator, part VTS-582 for our windows. I can't find the thread now but I think that is right in order to have the screw hole line up.
If you are not in a hurry, I will be getting my parts next week and can let you know if they are the right ones. It can be hard ordering online and not being able to compare first hand.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:05 PM   #18

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia D. View Post
When I was reading through the forums, I took note of things that applied to the Ventura and one was that we need to use the 1970s Boler Torque Bar Window Operator, part VTS-582 for our windows. I can't find the thread now but I think that is right in order to have the screw hole line up.
If you are not in a hurry, I will be getting my parts next week and can let you know if they are the right ones. It can be hard ordering online and not being able to compare first hand.
Thanks for chiming in! I know there are a lot of similarities between the various eggs, but it sounds like the Scamp and Ventura are different enough in this aspect that it will be helpful to have this info! Your cleaned up windows look great! SLOWLY working on mine
Old 07-20-2016, 01:27 PM   #19

Manitoba
Whoa sweetness ..wounder if your near me in MB buhahah

I'll look at my window when home and see if I can tottlly get what u mean and shire there only one on vintage trailer that seems to match granted the Numbskull that had my trailer before I think changed my crank for he cut metal i have a big retangle hole where the cranknis and they have a hand crank...I don't think that's orgnial ?
Thank you soo much I'm.going Too send u a pm too
Old 08-06-2016, 03:35 PM   #20

Manitoba
Finally got it!
Is it OK new ones shaft is shorter kwim ??
And I just love the new knobs I got hieds the previous owners damage and no cranks in the head lol
Attached Thumbnails
20160806_162144.jpg   20160806_162149.jpg