Replacement Caps - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2017, 08:50 AM   #1

Name: XXX
Trailer: whatever
NA
Replacement Caps

I was just sent this link for caps, as I was told Scamp no longer sells replacements to owners. The Web site advertises all kinds of colors, shapes and sizes.
Screw Caps & Screw Covers | Pro-Dec
Hidalga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidalga View Post
I was just sent this link for caps, as I was told Scamp no longer sells replacements to owners. The Web site advertises all kinds of colors, shapes and sizes.

Screw Caps & Screw Covers | Pro-Dec

Scamp's site still lists them
https://www.scamptrailers.com/parts-...c-washers.html
Old 05-06-2017, 01:09 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Replacement Caps

They only sell one size now. Up until a few years ago, they used a smaller washer and snap cap on the curtain rod rivets. They no longer use or sell the smaller washers or caps, so another supplier is needed for the smaller caps on older trailers. To use the larger caps, you need a larger washer, which requires replacing the rivets - all 24 or more, depending on model.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 02:52 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I 've found that if you spray paint the new caps with a coat of Krylon paint ,they last about twice as long as the unpainted caps.
Another handy tip I picked up from Donna D.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:30 PM   #5

NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I 've found that if you spray paint the new caps with a coat of Krylon paint ,they last about twice as long as the unpainted caps.
Another handy tip I picked up from Donna D.
Donna D. rocks! I can't wait to meet her in person.
Painting them in general helps. I used a small artist's brush with Interlux marine paint. Whatever works to give those little waxing annoyances some added UV protection.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:09 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Pro Deck is the maker and the caps are really cheap when you order a hundred.
Why waste time painting them when it takes just seconds to snap the old one off and a new one on?

If you replace deteriorating caps in time the bases will remain good.

Gives your trailer a fresh new look too.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:47 PM   #7

NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
Pro Deck is the maker and the caps are really cheap when you order a hundred.
Why waste time painting them when it takes just seconds to snap the old one off and a new one on?

If you replace deteriorating caps in time the bases will remain good.

Gives your trailer a fresh new look too.

Joe
True Joe.
Some people have a lot of money and can afford storage for spare parts, but they have little free time.
Others have little money or storage for parts, but they have a lot of free time to be resourceful.
People do what is necessary which works for them.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:56 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
True Joe.
Some people have a lot of money and can afford storage for spare parts, but they have little free time.
Others have little money or storage for parts, but they have a lot of free time to be resourceful.
People do what is necessary which works for them.
Didn't mean to ruffle your tail feathers!

I can replace one faster then I can paint one.
And I think the last small easy to store bag of 100 was around $7.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:23 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Donna D. rocks! I can't wait to meet her in person.
Painting them in general helps. I used a small artist's brush with Interlux marine paint. Whatever works to give those little waxing annoyances some added UV protection.
We had the opportunity and privilege of meeting Donna D at the 2015 Northern California rally in Quincy California. One more thing I can cross off my bucket list . I'm sure it was not as memorable for Donna D as it was for us.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 04:50 AM   #10

NA
Great to hear Steve! Meeting forum folks in-person just strengthens our online community.

And Joe, if you have one large cap to spare, that’s all I would need to replace the one that went AWOL on me in NM last year before I painted the rest. As a full-timer in a 13’ Scamp, I can’t justify carrying/storing 99 caps in premium storage. The marine paint will probably go bad in my hot car this summer, and I’d like to replace and paint it to match all the others.
If you have one to spare, PM me for my mail forwarding address, and I should receive the forwarding sometime this summer. At the latest, sometime around Christmas. Hope to meet you in-person some day!
Old 05-10-2017, 04:52 AM   #11

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post

Perhaps not as easy when you use sealant under the caps. Probably need to (or should) clean up the old sealant in the process, adding to the time it takes.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:40 AM   #12

Name: Corky
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16ft.
Illinois
Corky -Hi Hidalga you should have ask me for a cap at the last rally. We care extras with us all the time. Last Nov. 2016 while at Scamp I ask to buy 100 of each size cap and was told they no longer stock the small caps. So I was only able to get the large caps. Thank you for the information on where to order the small caps.
Courtland PieperCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #13

NA
Hi Corky,
If Joe doesn't contact me soon, I'll get up with you on your offer. Thank you! And thanks again for hosting a great rally.