Replacement Cushion Covers? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2007, 06:12 PM   #41

Trailer: 2004 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Hi Folks - I just got off the phone with Justin at Scamp - a very nice and helpful fellow. I ordered a full set of replacement cushions for the Boler! We went with the Harvest fabric. (I certainly left that decision up to the wife!) They should be here by the end of the month - I'll post some pictures once I get them in. Bailey - can you offer some direction as to how you had to trim the banana cushion? Was it too wide or too long? I am really looking forward to the new cushions!! Thanks again to all of you for your help - couldn't have done it without you!! Alec
Hello Al
As goes for the banana cushion it was a little long so I trimed about 3- 4 inches off both ends with a electric knife that worked wonderfully.The rest were great as I said before.
Are replacing the foam ? I think its a good idea the covers will hold it shape better
Good Luck
Bailey Boler
Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:15 PM   #42

Trailer: 1975 Boler
Unfortunatley for us north of the border they will ship the material, but not the cushions. We want to replace it all, so we are ordering the cloth and finding the material here. Cutting the foam has to be the easy part compared to sewing and cutting (hopefully in the other order).

Dave
David Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:35 AM   #43

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Boler and 1980 Trillium 5500
Thanks Bailey! Yes, we are replacing both foam and covers. Cheers, Alec
Al Stansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:37 AM   #44

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Unfortunatley for us north of the border they will ship the material, but not the cushions. We want to replace it all, so we are ordering the cloth and finding the material here. Cutting the foam has to be the easy part compared to sewing and cutting (hopefully in the other order).

Dave
Hi: The Scamp cushion covers fit 4" thick foams and some older Bolers only had 3" foams. It would be better in this case to buy new foams!!! I found a supplier local to us where I can buy 4" high density foams 22"x88" slabs @$59.95 ea. or they can custom order diff. sizes Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:21 PM   #45

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Went to launder the cushion covers on the 81 Scamp we just bought and they disintegrated. So we ordered the Alpine covers from Justin yesterday at Scamp. Will keep you posted when they arrive. Thanks for all the help in this thread and posting the fabrics as it made the process very simple.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:18 PM   #46

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
For those that are getting ready to recover cushions with new upholstery, you may want to read this topic from our Legacy data...it may prevent you from pulling your hair out

Cushions

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:43 AM   #47

Registry
Hi: Sage advise from Justin@Scamp parts...slip old foams into thin plastic bags and suck air out with a vaccuum cleaner then insert into cushion covers...The people@Scamp are just soooo helpfull. My brother was in the upholstry supply Biz. and he said the foams can be CAREFULLY steamed to clean B/4 stuffing...but too much heat and they will melt
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 02-17-2007, 08:14 AM   #48

Trailer: Gypsy 1979
Hi All, If you only need a new look or different color try dying. I dyed my covers in Playpac to get rid of the dark blue. Used Rit dye purchased at Walmart, a 5 gal bucket and several rinses in bucket before placing in washer for more rinses. Bill
Attached Thumbnails
22_looking_rearward_finished__dyed_cushion_covers.JPG  
Attached Images

Bill Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:11 AM   #49

Registry
Hi: Just "DYEING" to please you...sorry I couldn't resist... going to my room now
Old 02-18-2007, 12:41 PM   #50

Registry
Hi: Started taking off my old covers in anticipation of my Scamp/Boler replacements...Thought since I worked with paper patterns for 25 yrs. I would take apart the orig. covers and make patterns By the time I get through...the orig's will be a pile of powder Seems the Olifin fabric wasn't as iron clad as they thought!!! I did Vaccuum the foams as they look in re usable condition
Old 02-20-2007, 08:51 PM   #51

Registry
Hi: Well the long awaited cushion covers came today In the end all the advise on getting the foams in the covers was just that...Advise!!! We had a well mastered wrestling match...in this corner weighing 220lb Alf S. and in the other corner weighing a paltry few pounds "Slim cushions" It took 3 of us pounding the daylights out of the foams to get them in...and the bout isn't over till the fat guy sings They are well made and are going to look great with denim curtains Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1877.jpg  
Old 02-20-2007, 11:53 PM   #52

Trailer: 2004 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Looking great!!! AlF ,I'am sure you will be very pleased with you decision to order rather then trying to sew your own.
Happy camping
Bailey Boler
Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:05 PM   #53

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
For those who have made their cushion covers--any idea how much material to buy? I would love to take advantage of the factory scamp cushions what a great deal --if only they had a solid color---any solid color! Ok maybe not ANY ....

I have a 13ft scamp. I would take it to the local fabric shop but they dont have the material I want to use and I dont want to take up their time if I'm not buying it there.

If someone that has been through the process and remembers I would appreciate the info--thanks a bunch. Jackie
Kenny&Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:22 PM   #54

Registry
Hi: Well the Cushion Recovery is almost complete Whew!!! was it more work than I thought? Am I happy with the Scamp Covers? Had to repad the front sofa back rest as the old foam was too thin and the banana cushion was too long but the wrestling match was won by Alf S. My wife is sewing new curtains to complete the new blue look Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 02-26-2007, 12:24 PM   #55

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Deluxe
Jackie,

If you call the Scamp factory I'm sure you can get the amount of fabric needed. While you're talking with them ask if the seamstresses can make the covers using fabric you send. If so, how much would they charge.

Good luck.
Nita

Quote:
For those who have made their cushion covers--any idea how much material to buy? I would love to take advantage of the factory scamp cushions what a great deal --if only they had a solid color---any solid color! Ok maybe not ANY ....

I have a 13ft scamp. I would take it to the local fabric shop but they dont have the material I want to use and I dont want to take up their time if I'm not buying it there.

If someone that has been through the process and remembers I would appreciate the info--thanks a bunch. Jackie
Nita F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:34 PM   #56

Trailer: Star Stream 19ft Aluminum
Well, after considering the Scamp route (not at all to our taste - our trailer is 'pimped out 1970's style'!) we bought an industrial strength sewing machine, new vinyl, new fun fur (in fire engine red! you should see this stuff!) and have started making our own.

The project is going fantastically well.

And then I got the thinking, there are so many people that are interested in custom cushions, Andrea and I are considering offering this service to others.

Clearly we couldn't compete with Scamp on price, but you would get to choose your own color, fabric, backing (eg vinyl), with or without rope edges etc.

When we priced it out before making our own, we had quotes from several hundred dollars to past the thousand dollar point.

So, my question to all is .. if we were to offer such a service, how much interest would there be and what would you be willing to part with to have the covers of your dreams?!

We will use your thoughts as part of our decision to offer this service or not.

Post away!
Darren C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:27 PM   #57

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Alf--I'm glad to hear that your Scamp cushions fit so well--I'm still on the fence about getting them myself.

Nita--thanks for the suggestion of calling Scamp, I may as well try it--they might actually tell me!

Darren--cant wait to see those cushions when completed--you will be your own best advertisement.
My husband wants a "theme" for our trailer since it will be behind either his or my hot rod going to rod runs for the most part. I bought a very busy fabric in our theme for the curtains and really want to have a solid seat cushion. If we have a mind to the curtains could be changed out pretty easy for a different look.

I guess I will have to buy earplugs for my three year old (for the colorful language that the sewing machine seems to bring about ) and just go for it.

This forum is always so helpful---I have a folder of tons of modification ideas that you all have shared that really is invaluable info--thanks again Jackie
Kenny&Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:47 PM   #58

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Quote:
For those who have made their cushion covers--any idea how much material to buy?
Jackie,

I'm in the midst of making new covers for our 13' U-Haul. I haven't cut out all the parts yet, but I calculated that I need 9 yards of 55" wide fabric for the tops/sides/piping, and 5 yards of 55" wide vinyl for the bottom. I think it's going to be a tight fit though, and wish I had bought 1/2 - 1 yard more of the fabric.

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:34 PM   #59

Trailer: 1970 Boler
one quick question - do the Scamp covers come made to fit 3" or 4" foam?
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:00 AM   #60

Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quote:
one quick question - do the Scamp covers come made to fit 3" or 4" foam?
Alf S earlier said that Scamp are made to fit 4" foam.

Darren I wish I had know you were looking into doing this we just last week ordered our covers from Scamp.
David Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote