replacement fridge trillium rv - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2018, 01:00 PM   #1

Name: Norman
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Unhappy replacement fridge trillium rv

Hi all, opinions needed for the replacement of the fridge in my 1976 Trillium RV.
I would like to keep the unit as stock as possible, but am finding it very difficult finding a new fridge. I have 3 way hook-up ability in place.
I am considering just going 2 way A/C D/C and installing two 6V batteries. I will want off grid sometimes. Is this the way to go or should I stay with the propane ability as well. If no more propane then the new gas hook-up will have to be removed. I know the fridge will be 1000+ dollars Canadian, which is fine, but just want to do the right thing.
Thank you all ahead of time, Norma (Sooke BC)
Norma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:51 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Go with Ac/Propane.
Doesn't require banks of batteries and solar panels or generator.
You are covered in serviced campsites and out in the bush.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:35 PM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Not sure of the year of your Trillium, but Dometic RM211's are used in later 1300's. These are a 3 way, (propane, 120vac, 12vdc) fridge. They are so common that I have had them given to me for free. Currently I have two spares.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:39 PM   #4

British Columbia
Hi David, my trillium is 1976 model. Where about are you located? Thanks, N
Old 04-20-2018, 04:58 PM   #5

Alberta
Registry
I am in Calgary.

I found this in BC:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-trailer-part...ationFlag=true
Old 04-20-2018, 06:11 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
those fridges

ok I have to ask I have heard this can you get the old one out and get the new one in the door?

I don't know how old my fridge is in our 13f scamper!
thanks

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:42 PM   #7

British Columbia
Where approx are you located kOwtz?
Old 04-20-2018, 09:27 PM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Not sure of the year of your Trillium, but Dometic RM211's are used in later 1300's. These are a 3 way, (propane, 120vac, 12vdc) fridge. They are so common that I have had them given to me for free. Currently I have two spares.
What kind of costs will I be looking at?!
Old 04-21-2018, 06:39 AM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
central mo

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:08 AM   #10

British Columbia
Thanks for finding this David, only 3 hrs away. Its to bad I can't seem to get a response from them, I would leave right now and go get it. I suppose it could be sold but I will keep trying. Its a very good buy. I have been looking at over 1000$$ and would still have to make alterations. One person suggested A/C and propane only, that sounds good too. Anyway, thanks again, still looking, N
Old 04-21-2018, 10:11 AM   #11

British Columbia
Hi David, it seem by the time I find one, you could have put one on the bus and I would have it already. Have you got one in good working order right now?
Old 04-21-2018, 10:13 AM   #12

British Columbia
Central Missouri Bob, holy moses...I'm on west coast Vancouver Island.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:14 AM   #13

British Columbia
Hi David, one other thing...in your experience, do you think it will fit right in the opening? thanks again, N
Old 04-21-2018, 11:48 AM   #14

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Norma, with some brands of FGRV the fridge won't fit through the doorway. The widest dimension of the refrigerator is the width of the flange on the front. Case in point, I have a Trillium 4500 (doorway width 23 1/2 inches) and a Dometic RM 36 TF fridge per the sticker inside the closet door (fridge flange width is 21 1/2 inches). So I would have no trouble removing my 40 year old fridge through the doorway, but don't need or want to because it still works. If I wanted to replace my fridge, I found that Norcold sells a fridge that is a perfect size match / would fit perfectly. Dometic might as well.

Another thing. Do you actually have a fridge? If so, is it working or not? If its an original gas electric, it may be servicable / repairable.

- John
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:10 PM   #15

British Columbia
Thanks John, I don't have the fridge, it was removed by the outfit doing the restaration work I want done. I worry that they saw my wallet and me show up. I don't know where the fridge is now. They had the idea of huge alterations, with the fridge they want would stick out 4-5inches, even having me lose the use of the lower compartment door and the 2 drawers that are inside. I want to keep it as stock as possible. So I keep trying to find a better option.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:13 PM   #16

Name: Curt
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Alberta
Registry
I could use one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Good afternoon, David!

Are your spare fridges in decent working order?

I have one in my 78 Trillium 4500 that is very questionable right now, and am wanting to replace.

What is the story on the 2 you have (assuming you still have them), and what would it take for me to take on off your hands?

Thanks,

Curt
Edmonton
Capn.Curt.Wiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:32 PM   #17

Name: Chris
British Columbia
Norma..

Where in BC are you?? I am in Comox.. My suggestion is to take David up on his offer of a used 12DC/120AC/Propane fridge and look for some other folks to reinvigorate your lil trillium rather than have these guys create a monster ;-)
Old 04-21-2018, 01:38 PM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Norma, if they didn't alter the refrigerator opening in the kitchen cabinet, you can use that opening height and width as a starting point to find a fridge that fits. Also, hopefully the cabinet opening width is narrower than the door opening width. As David Tilston suggested, you could probably find a used Dometic gas electric fridge.

Also hopefully they left the old fridge electric and propane lines/connections intact. Any possibility you can get your refrigerator back?
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:35 PM   #19

Alberta
Registry
Sorry, I did not notice all the questions for me.

First off, while I have two spare RM211's, and two spare RM36, (4500 only) I am not planning to sell any of them. The plan is to have a hot swap-able spare, and a parts source. They are worth more to me than the $100 that they sell for. I mean finding, testing, selling, packing, shipping.... sounds like a lot of work for the money. Though I did at one time have three RM211's, (got the last one for free) I sold the extra one. I have come across other fridges, but I have what I want and have room for. As a result of obsessive cruising kijiji, the wreckers, and any place that might have parts, I have loads of spare original Trillium parts, (converters, furnace valves,......) and a fleet of five Trilliums that require restoration. While I was unemployed, I sold the only one that was restored. I suppose I should be buying every fridge I find, and reselling them, but I have such a hard time parting with my finds. I guess you could say that I am a hoarder.

As for whether an RM211 would fit Norman's Trillium, I have a Trillium with the older style fridge, but I can't remember the model number, (RM24?). It is the first picture in this post:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post425303
This is smaller then an RM211, which goes down to the floor. The hole could be enlarged to fit the newer fridge.

Curt, Looking at your registry, It looks like you have a 1978 4500, with an RM36. If I had known you are looking for a fridge, I would have pulled the one I found last week in a truck camper at the local Pick n Pull for $25. Instead I just took the freezer door. No guarantee that it works, but you get a credit when you return it. I do love the wreckers. Though he wants too much for it, this one is an RM360, installed in 4500 from 1979 on:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-trailer-part...ationFlag=true

bob, I am not familiar with Scampers, but both the RM211, and larger RM36 fit through the door of a Trillium.

Tags
fridge, trillium