replacement of particle board cabinet doors - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Casita
South Carolina
Registry
replacement of particle board cabinet doors

Hello Everyone,
I am looking to upgrade my cabinet doors to plywood or something different than what was there originally.I want to get rid of the particle board.

I wonder if there are stock doors you can purchase or do avid remodeler's make them themselves.

Thought i would post this and see what type of feed back i receive.

Thanks,
John
secwind7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
There is a thread here that shows what some folks have done. Good photos. Wish I had that kind of talent!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You might check with a cabinet shop. They can make doors to any size.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #4

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
I also dislike the particle board doors. I've already replaced the table with "real" wood and the silverware drawer with plywood instead of OSB.

Once I've finished my list of other mods it won't take much to get me looking at replacing the heavy particle board doors. I have a great workshop so that's not a problem for me.

Even if you'd like to replace the doors yourself but don't have a lot of workshop or experience I think it's still possible. In that case I'd consider going to a store that sells wood moldings and get a profile that works for the outer frame of the door. Use 1/8" oak or other wood plywood for the panel. Quite easy to do even with a minimum of tools. Real wood looks so much nicer than the vinyl embossed particle board and it's so much lighter.

Good luck

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
I made some after viewing this

Mine where made from 5/16 knotty pine and I ripped the frame from 3/4" pine boards. Basically just used a table saw to cut the parts. They came out well and cut the weight by at least 1/2. Much better look than the 1/2 slab doors it had(BTW i recycled the original hardware). I also made the top cupboard doors wider and hinge upwards.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-20111024-00061 (Medium).jpg   IMG-20111024-00066 (Medium).jpg  

IMG-20111024-00062 (Medium).jpg  
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by secwind7 View Post
Hello Everyone,
I am looking to upgrade my cabinet doors to plywood or something different than what was there originally.I want to get rid of the particle board.

I wonder if there are stock doors you can purchase or do avid remodeler's make them themselves.

Thought i would post this and see what type of feed back i receive.

Thanks,
John
Take alook a an EggCamper... You could make a whole set of simple and attractive doors from less than two sheets of 3/8" oak veneer plywood. Simply cut the doors from the plywood and bevel them on a belt sander. install them with the bevel toward the cabinet. This gives a finished look while providing an edge to open them without the need for handles unless you just like the way the handles look.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:46 AM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
RE: New Cabinet Doors
For those without the necessary time, tools and/or skills, custom made to order cabinet doors are available from a number of on line sources, and in a wide a range of materials and designs. Google "cabinet doors online" and you will get enough hits to keep you busy shopping for the weekend.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
And, nobody says you have to use wood! We've seen cabinet doors made out of everything from plexiglass...comes in colors! To diamond plate and a very nice mod done with cutting board poly... that comes in colors too, etc., etc. It just depends on your budget or skill level + tools + time. Make your trailer uniquely your own.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita