Replacing Broken 30 amp plug - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2019, 10:52 AM   #1

Name: Megan
Trailer: Scamp
Kentucky
Thumbs up Replacing Broken 30 amp plug

Hi All!
After dragging the electric cord down a highway (it came out of the portal), I bought a replacement plug online for $13 and completed the job in about an hour. Not bad for a mature (!) woman who knows zip about electricity. Of course, I made sure all power was OFF before I took this on.
Tada!
Attached Images

Megala M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:26 AM   #2

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Good job Megan. You rock.

Walt
Old 06-20-2019, 10:05 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
I had that happen to me once, except the only reason it came out of the portal is that I pulled it out the night before and plugged it into the electric box after dumping the night before so we could get an early start the next morning. Drove off in the dark the next morning, and about a half hour later as the sun came up I got to see this long black thing snaking behind our camper. OOPS! Forgot to unplug from the box in the morning.
Fortunately, the couple we were traveling with happened to have a spare plug that I was able to wire up when we got to our destination. I purchased two more after that; one to give back to them, and another to use as a spare for the "next" time. :-)
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:49 AM   #4

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
That's one of the few mistakes I've not made........yet!
When I first started though, I did have to replace two 7 pin connectors from road abrasion before I learned that lesson.

Walt
Old 06-20-2019, 12:40 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
The lesson here is to "Always walk around the trailer" at least once before leaving any location, even after stopping for lunch.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:55 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Checklist

We use a label maker produced checklist on the inner door frame developed by the original owner for our Escape 21. Had the same basic thing on the 19. It’s separated into inner and outer tasks and there is no dishonor in checking each other’s responsibilities. We have only had to update a couple things for the way we camp but the basics have saved us from departure separation anxiety. Read that: stuff left behind. Checklists, aging grey matter, and reality seem to go hand in hand in hand with us.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:15 AM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
The lesson here is to "Always walk around the trailer" at least once before leaving any location, even after stopping for lunch.
+1000 on the walkaround.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:25 AM   #8

Name: Don
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
California
Also, whenever you get gas, do a walk-around, and give everything a shake or a pull. (I also feel the tires, and the trailer's hubs. They're of course warm, but if one is much hotter than the others, I'd explore why!)
RLTW - LRRA2015
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:02 PM   #9

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post

Yeah have had people do things to the trailer while parked.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:10 AM   #10

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Of course a woman who can use basic tools can change plugs out!
I actually learned to change the plug on the end of a cord when I was just a kid, I was always the one hanging around watching how stuff is done. My mother was the one changing a plug. Growing up as a mid century baby girl it never occurred to me that I could not learn to do mechanical things like wiring, carpentry, fixing flat tires, tuning up my own bike, sewing, fixing the vacuum cleaner, etc.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:50 PM   #11

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Well done Megan! I wonder how the cord came out of your portal? Will you try to secure it a different way? We had this trouble too and right now we're using a spring-loaded clamp to hold it inside.
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote