Replacing Burro floor - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2009, 06:30 AM   #1

Trailer: 1983 Burro 13 ft
As expected, my Burro purchase requires some floor repair. Any Burro owners familiar with how the inner and outer shells attach both to the floor and to the trailer frame?
Underneath, I see about 50 screws attaching the floor to the frame and crossmembers from above. Does the trailer shell attach to the floor and then the floor attach to the frame, or do the shell(s) bolt to the frame directly somewhere that I'm missing?
I'd like to replace the whole floor floor and be done with it. Advice anyone?

Also, someone in a different thread had clearance issues getting their trailer in/out of the garage. My solution seems to be in using eight-inch boat trailer wheels off my jonboat trailer and removing the vent on top. Lowers the overall height considerably.

Thanks to all...
Mike in WV
Mike Shackelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Burro
Mike in WV,
Floor is attached to Shell.
Bottom of Shell and Floor sit on Frame.
Floor is bolted to Frame.
Martin G.
Martin G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well, maybe this topic will help: '81 burro 13' rebuild has begun

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
the inner shell is attached to the top of the floor. I would have loved to have seen how they did this in the factory.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:52 AM   #5

Trailer: 1983 Burro 13 ft
Quote:
As expected, my Burro purchase requires some floor repair. Any Burro owners familiar with how the inner and outer shells attach both to the floor and to the trailer frame?
Underneath, I see about 50 screws attaching the floor to the frame and crossmembers from above. Does the trailer shell attach to the floor and then the floor attach to the frame, or do the shell(s) bolt to the frame directly somewhere that I'm missing?
I'd like to replace the whole floor floor and be done with it. Advice anyone?

Also, someone in a different thread had clearance issues getting their trailer in/out of the garage. My solution seems to be in using eight-inch boat trailer wheels off my jonboat trailer and removing the vent on top. Lowers the overall height considerably.

Thanks to all...
Mike in WV
Thanks Martin, Donna, and Gina for your replies. Seems like the logical factory method would be to attach the inner shell to the floor and then mate the outer shell halves to the inner shell, and finally, tabbing the outer perimeter of the outer shell to the floor underneath. I've looked the whole process over fairly well and by reversing that procedure (providing its accurate..?) I may be able to remove the subfloor and floor. I'm fairly certain that those unseen window leaks from 25 year old rubber gaskets allowed water to drain between the walls and into/onto the plywood. Once wet and being sandwiched between FG layers, it would never dry. When I remove the windows and vent, I'm thinking of joining the inner/outer shells in those openings with FG and resin to prevent water infiltration into the cavity between the shells. The frame is in good shape with only surface scaling in some areas and no cracks or bends. I think I'll reinforce the common weak areas as a preventive measure. Only real issues are the floor and tires...and possibly "dead" rubber in the torsion axle suspension. What we get ourselves into in the pursuit of fun.
Thanks again from this hillbilly.
Mike Shackelford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro