Replacing casita grab handle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2019, 08:11 PM   #1

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
California
Replacing casita grab handle

My original grab handle broke, ordered a new one. Today we were going to install it but it seems there is a nut on the back of the fiberglass that the new bolts don’t go into. So no way to support the screw from the back side of the wall..not stable! I have a Liberty Deluxe, so the location of the back of the handle is in the microwave cabinet.
I think I could poke a ice pick through the hole, through the rat fur, put a washer and a nut in place and hold it in position while husband puts the screw through. The idea being making something for the bolt to go into, through the fiberglass and rat fur...making a more secure handle.
When others have replaced the grab handle there was no mention of not having anything to fasten the bolt to....
Did I miss something? Am I overthinking this or am I on the right track.
Leej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:48 PM   #2

Name: mitch
Trailer: Casita and Scamp
United States
You have to pull the microwave, I just did this on my Casita Freedom.
The best rivets I found are on Amazon for kayaks, they are black and work perfect
mitchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:47 AM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Just recently replaced my 11 year old Dometic microwave. While I had it out I took a few pictures of the inside of the MW cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0002.jpg   IMG_0001 (1).jpg  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:01 PM   #4

Name: Lee
Texas
Registry
When I replaced mine I saw on a post where you cut a little slit in the carpet after feeling where the nut is. Instead of using the original screws I went to the hardware store and got a couple of stainless steel allen bolts the same length as the original screws and a couple of fender washers which are much wider than a regular flat washer and I was able to reach around the open door and get it mounted myself. My handle didn't break it just seemed that I was always trying to keep the mold cleaned off so I just got a black handle.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:11 PM   #5

Name: Madeline
Florida
Grab handle-black?

Good idea on the black handle. That could improve the look !
Madelinecap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita