replacing ensolite - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2006, 03:26 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium
Hi, our search continues for a Trillium. Have encounter one with none of the interior stuff (ensolite?) in it, and one with an inside mold problem. Any accounts on the success of removing mold stains (is it even possible?) and/or replacing the ensolite (where to buy, how much, how difficult a job etc) would be most appreciated. We don't want to buy something thinking it will be a fixer upper and find out we've taken on too much !
Thanks a bunch........Jo
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 73 Surfside 14 / '05 Magnum RT AWD
Some have replaced the ensolite with a rug/carpet, one with rubber like backing. also someone used a foil backed insulation and then painted. You could also have it sprayed with insulation then paint.
I'd rather tackel the mold. there are many products for mold removel. Paint could cover any stain. Course that one might have wood rot. tough choice.
Jana J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Jo,
We got our 77 Scamp 13ft home last summer and found that the elephant skin was not just split, but squirrels/chipmunks had nested between the elepahnt skin and the fiberglass, creatively using the foam backing as part of the nesting material. Needless to say, once we realized what we were dealing with, keeping the old elephant skin was NOT an option. After I had scraped and picked all the foam backing out, I realize that anything which is a sponge will hold moisture and eventually turn to mold. Mold in any form is NOT healthy. Don't take a chance with your health. Mold isn't a good room mate. I have used everything I could think of to kill off the smell of squirrel nests and mold. Clorox, pressure washed, vinegar and three pounds of baking soda. (Each of them seperately, not combined) Finally, after we sealed the wood floor and deck areas, we are free of the smell. And there is no mold or mildew. We ordered the foil/bubble insulation and rat fur (like the soft side of velcro) and are in the process of putting them into the little Scamp. This is not for the faint hearted, but keep smiling.
Faith
Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 02:53 PM   #4

Trailer: Trillium
Thanks for your advice, thankfully we don't need to worry about it now - we found a Trillium in good shape! (see my post in the for sale/wanted section)
Jo
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Jo,
We got our 77 Scamp 13ft home last summer and found that the elephant skin was not just split, but squirrels/chipmunks had nested between the elepahnt skin and the fiberglass, creatively using the foam backing as part of the nesting material. Needless to say, once we realized what we were dealing with, keeping the old elephant skin was NOT an option. After I had scraped and picked all the foam backing out, I realize that anything which is a sponge will hold moisture and eventually turn to mold. Mold in any form is NOT healthy. Don't take a chance with your health. Mold isn't a good room mate. I have used everything I could think of to kill off the smell of squirrel nests and mold. Clorox, pressure washed, vinegar and three pounds of baking soda. (Each of them seperately, not combined) Finally, after we sealed the wood floor and deck areas, we are free of the smell. And there is no mold or mildew. We ordered the foil/bubble insulation and rat fur (like the soft side of velcro) and are in the process of putting them into the little Scamp. This is not for the faint hearted, but keep smiling.
Faith

Faith how did you use remove the elephant skin and black foam?
Joe Steadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
I'm trying this in the 17 ft. Boler. I'd probably just use the Ecofoam and Marine Vinyl in a Trillium
or smaller Boler
kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Faith how did you use remove the elephant skin and black foam?
Boy Joe, you've responded to an ooooollllld post. Faith hasn't been logged into FiberglassRV since 10th May 2009 - 07:22 AM, doubtful she'll see your post.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
After I had scraped and picked all the [Ensolite] foam backing out, I realize that anything which is a sponge will hold moisture and eventually turn to mold.
Just for the record, Ensolite is a closed-cell foam, so in that way it is not like "a sponge" and does not soak up water, etc. like one. Sponges are open-celled foam (as are some "marine" foam-backed products, ironically). Different animal.

Raya

PS: I realize this is old, but since it was rejuvenated I was just reading it for the first time, and figured others might be too.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote