Replacing my fridge....maybe - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2013, 09:16 PM   #1

Name: Matt
Trailer: Boler 1700
Alberta
Replacing my fridge....maybe

Im looking at replacing the old 3 way fridge in our 1973 boler. One place that I talked too recommended that I just replace it with a AC/DC DC fridge as the new three way fridges are deeper (+/- 4 inches) and eat up more floor space. I guess I have three questions.

1) We typically dont camp at sites with power and I am curious how long a fridge would run on battery power and if this is now common?

2) Isthere any way to refurbish the old Ammonia system fridges?

3) Has anyone found a new 3 way fridge that fits in the existing fridge opening?
Matt4483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #2

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Look at the fridge outside on the back you will find the brand name. It was made by a Canadian company, look them up I think they are still in business. The fridge will not last very long on 12v. Propane works best when dry camping.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #3

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Have you considered replacing your fridge with an icebox? While we have never had a fridge we are very happy with our icebox. Depending on the outside temperature we use a block of ice every 3-5 days and it keeps everything cool. We can use a bag of ice cubes if necessary. The icebox is silent as there is no motor involved. We don't need to even think about how to provide energy to the icebox and we can boondock without worry. The melted ice simply runs out a tube to the outside of the trailer. We fully expect our icebox to give us many years of trouble-free service. Good luck with your decision.
Happy Camping!
Gilda
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Have you considered replacing your fridge with an icebox? The melted ice simply runs out a tube to the outside of the trailer.
Gilda
I actually read the instructions that came with a Coleman cooler that I purchased. And, the instructions said NOT to drain the cooler ( that's just letting the cold out ). We keep anything that's not in a bottle or can in plastic containers to keep it from swimming around.
I know. Why would anybody read the instructions for a cooler?
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
One group 27 battery and a 100 watt solar panel ran our 12 volt only danfoss 134a refrigerator by NovaKool, for 60 days & 9000 miles last summer without once running low on battery power or using 110v. A 3 way refrigerator costs more, doesn't cool nearly as well as a compressor style refrigerator, takes up more room and has a smaller inside cubic inch displacement. I can't see a down side here. I agree with the above posting that a 3 way refrigerator operating on 12 volt will quickly drain a battery to zero.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:34 PM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
One group 27 battery and a 100 watt solar panel ran our 12 volt only danfoss 134a refrigerator by NovaKool, for 60 days & 9000 miles last summer without once running low on battery power or using 110v. A 3 way refrigerator costs more, doesn't cool nearly as well as a compressor style refrigerator, takes up more room and has a smaller inside cubic inch displacement. I can't see a down side here. I agree with the above posting that a 3 way refrigerator operating on 12 volt will quickly drain a battery to zero.
This is the most pratical dry camp setup.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #7

Name: Matt
Trailer: Boler 1700
Alberta
thanks for all the responses
Matt4483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:43 PM   #8

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Well just remember a few days of being overcast... I stayed in a cabin that had an old servel propane fridge that I got running and I loved it. Yes didnt keep a deep freeze but the 20lb bottle lasted a month and it worked well for me.

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:48 PM   #9

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
David B- how do you find the noise with your fridge as I am quite sensitive to noise with the dorm type electrical fridges?
kootenaigirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:58 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
This is the first I've ever thought about noise from the fridge. At home, I hear the fridge, but in the trailer with a 5 cu. ft. propane / AC fridge I can't recall ever hearing anything. I sleep with my head next to it.

baglo
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:19 PM   #11

Name: Sean
Trailer: Bigfoot
Saskatchewan
May I ask as to why you want to replace the old fridge? There isn't much to go wrong and are super easy to fix.
Orcus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
David B- how do you find the noise with your fridge as I am quite sensitive to noise with the dorm type electrical fridges?
I to am sensitive to little lights and noises waking me.
I can faintly hear a distant low hum when it is running. I was able to listen to one at an RV store prior to purchasing on-line with a different company, only because the RV store only had a larger unit than I could use. The dorm style refrigerators that I have been around, ARE louder, but I don't believe they use a danfoss pump for the 134a refrigerant. If you do go this route, I would recommend NOT going with the 12 volt/110 volt option, as this just uses a converter to transform 110 to 12 volt. The battery charger on shore power will keep my battery topped off, or the solar panel will.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:25 AM   #13

Name: Joe
Trailer: Casita 17' SD
Arizona
I have a Edgestar 12v and 110v that is a portable refridgerator and freezer. It is the 63 quart model and I put it in the back seat of my Tundra Access Cab pick up. I use it both ways and it works good either way. I use a 90 watt Solar panel to charge the one 27 house battery. It has a quick freeze setting that works good when you first plug her in, takes about half an hour to reach desired setting. I think it weighs around 45 lbs empty so you can put it where you want it. I love it and my days of ice are over. I still use my inside the trailer fridge/freezer too.
Rattlesnake Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:38 AM   #14

Arizona
Registry
Joe, do you know if your unit uses 134a with a danfoss pump, or is it some other set-up? I have a friend that uses what sounds similar to yours, but he says it really is energy hungry.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4483 View Post
1) We typically don't camp at sites with power and I am curious how long a fridge would run on battery power and if this is now common?
I think that this has been answered - you need a solar panel.

Quote:
2) Is there any way to refurbish the old Ammonia system fridges?
Yes, you can buy just the cooling unit portion of the refrigerator, but it costs almost as much as a new refrigerator. Dometic Aftermarket Cooling Units

Quote:
3) Has anyone found a new 3 way fridge that fits in the existing fridge opening?
This is a good resource to compare refrigerator space requirements. http://www.thetford.com/Portals/0/PD...Chart_2012.pdf
Old 02-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #16

Name: jeff
Trailer: 84 16' Casita
Oregon
There is a norcold DE-051 AC/DC fridge for $250 + shipping on EBay. I have the same for boondocking and just use the DC. IT uses about 17 amps a day, but will very based on how full and often it is opened and the inside temp in trailer. I also have a 145 watt solar panel. It does have a humm when running which is about 1/3 of the time.
Jeff in OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in OC View Post
There is a norcold DE-051 AC/DC fridge for $250 + shipping on EBay. I have the same for boondocking and just use the DC. IT uses about 17 amps a day, but will very based on how full and often it is opened and the inside temp in trailer. I also have a 145 watt solar panel. It does have a humm when running which is about 1/3 of the time.

Is this it? Norcold de 0251T AC DC Refrigerator Freezer RV's Boats 18 Wheelers New | eBay

Starting bid is $250, local pickup. Shipping is typically about $100.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #18

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Earlier Glen referred to use of a Coleman cooler. I want to clarify that I was actually referring to an icebox that is offered as an option built into the Scamp (not a stand-alone cooler). The icebox has a similar configuration to a refrigerator with a door that opens vertically and has interior shelves. Because the ice is located on the top shelf the air is cool below. The ice melts on the top shelf and is funneled through a tube that runs to the bottom of the icebox and out the bottom of the trailer. You would NOT want to have liquid water in the trailer icebox as it would run onto the floor.
Happy Camping!
Gilda
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #19

Name: Luis
Trailer: Boler 1300 79'
Alberta
Registry
hello all,
My current design will use two identical ENGEL 35 Qt. Coolers, one will be the "freezer", and the other one the Fridge. I will install a Compresor system (plus evaporator and condensor) in the freezer later, and will use with ice blocks/ packs/cubes for now.

The cooler (freezer) also serves as a seat for my dinnete....
Everything on my reno is dual purpose if not more!...

Cheers,
Luis
Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis View Post
hello all,
My current design will use two identical ENGEL 35 Qt. Coolers, one will be the "freezer", and the other one the Fridge. I will install a Compresor system (plus evaporator and condensor) in the freezer later, and will use with ice blocks/ packs/cubes for now.

The cooler (freezer) also serves as a seat for my dinnete....
Everything on my reno is dual purpose if not more!...

Cheers,
Luis
Great! We are looking forward to the photographs.