Replacing or Restore??? 1976 Scamp front and rear windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-07-2016, 11:33 AM   #1

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
Registry
Replacing or Restore??? 1976 Scamp front and rear windows

Hi folks. I picked up a '76 Scamp about a year ago. I've been slowly working my way through it. I've removed and replaced every rivet. I've removed, cleaned, and re-seated the jalousie windows, etc.

For my next project, I'd like to address the plexiglass windows in the front and back. They are both very scratched up, and the seal has shrunk so much I've had to put almost an inch of black vulkem in to prevent leaking during a heavy rain.

Two questions: Scamp sells the window seal. I assume the seal they sell will be the correct seal for a 1976. Anybody know if this is confirmed, and/or should I buy the seal from some other place?

Second question, I see scamp also sells replacement windows. I've also read that others use the existing as templates and just buy plexi or lexan. I'm actually toying with the idea of using a plastics buffing compound like Novus to clean up my existing windows. Anybody have any experience with this? If so can you advise and share.

Thanks in advance.

Dan in Des Moines
Curbfeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Considering the time and money it takes to replace the windows I would spend a couple hours and 10 bucks just to see how well they come out.
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:10 AM   #3

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
Registry
Thanks Fred for the response. Yes, I have considered the "it's worth a try" factor. I would have to pull the windows and badly-shrunken trim and have new trim on-hand. Then I could try to polish the windows, and if they came out nicely I could install them. If they were a disaster then I'd have to source a window pretty quickly, though, or I'd have a gaping hole in my trailer and no way to protect from a rain storm. That is the only thing that causes me ask first if there are others who have polished out scratches with some success.

Dan
Curbfeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:19 AM   #4

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Dan, the only thing to keep in mind is whether it is actual scratches or the window material actually delaminating. We had one on an old 1976 Boler where it looked like scratches all over it but it was actually inside the material almost like the plexi had started to break down inside so no amount of polishing would get rid of those although it made the outside of the plexi look nice and clear
Sorry I don't have a picture and you could try a small portion while they are still in to check.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #5

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Try replacing with lexan the same thickness.
Stronger and does not crack or fracture as easily, but it will scratch easier.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:12 AM   #6

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Why not go to a specialty glass shop and have 2 pieces (front & rear) of flat laminated safety glass cut to replace the plastic windows in your trailer?

What you will be purchasing is flat laminated windshield safety glass. Try a Street Rod shop, local glass shop or windshield shop in you area to find out who cuts/corners flat laminated safety glass for their customers projects.

A "little" more weight with real laminated safety glass however a Hell of lot better end result than plexiglass or Lexan poly carbonate clear sheet.

If the safety glass is a little big thicker than the current plastic window in the trailer that issue can be addressed with the rubber gasket profile.

Laminated safety glass works great for windshields so it will work fine as the front window in your trailer if you are worried about flying road objects breaking the glass.
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:26 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Why not go to a specialty glass shop and have 2 pieces (front & rear) of flat laminated safety glass cut to replace the plastic windows in your trailer?

Laminated safety glass works great for windshields so it will work fine as the front window in your trailer if you are worried about flying road objects breaking the glass.
NO. The front window in a Scamp has a compound curve. Glass doesn't curve! The rear of the Scamp may be a Bubble Back. If there's no flat space with a boss, you'll need to install plexi (or lexan). Because once again... glass doesn't CURVE.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:26 AM   #8

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
What do you mean "Glass does curve"?

The safety laminated windshield in your vehicle is curved!

Yes you can also have a "curved" window to fit the Scamp made however it might not be economical.

Not being familiar with the Scamp I thought the front and rear windows might be flat glass.
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
What do you mean "Glass does curve"?

The safety laminated windshield in your vehicle is curved!

Yes you can also have a "curved" window to fit the Scamp made however it might not be economical.

Not being familiar with the Scamp I thought the front and rear windows might be flat glass.
Okay... semantics. Glass doesn't curve on it's own.

Anything is possible if you throw enough money at it. Airstream has curved glass, but that's in a production environment. Doubtful anyone would pay to have ONE window made unless it was as a replacement piece of glass.
But you never know <_<
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:05 PM   #10

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Glad our boler's hehr windows have safety glass even though have two panes to replace. Scratches could be hard to avoid. Glass is about the thickness of double diamond regular but has laminated two layers as mentioned above and we can get it local from a glass place.

Tags
scamp, windows