Replacing Piezo Ignitor in Dometic RM 2193 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Replacing Piezo Ignitor in Dometic RM 2193

Our 16' Casita has the standard 1.9 cubic ft Dometic 3-way fridge with manual piezo ignition. It doesn't seem to spark any longer when I click it, as evidenced by the smell of unburned propane and the fact that it lights immediately with a flame from a grill lighter. I've pulled the cover out and started to dig into it, but it looks like a messy job for what may be limited returns. The shop manual is not especially helpful in this, by the way. Has anyone replaced the ignitor in their fridge? I can't tell whether it's the electrode simply out of place, the connecting wire, or what, so I figure if I'm going in there at all, I will do so with the idea of replacing the thing. Or....I can keep using the grill lighter until I have to pull the fridge out for some other kind of maintenance.

Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Keep using the grill lighter and forgrtaboutit.

Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hi Parker. Yup, in trying to light mine I had to press it way too often. Only when we got into a campground after dark did I notice the arcing at the bottom of the ignitor. It's very close to( rubbing up against) the copper tubing( gas line I think). I removed the screws holding the panel the igniter is screwed into, carefully unscrewed the igniter to gain access to the wire and put a little electrical tape on the wire as a temporary fix. There is not much play in the wire and not much room to work. At some point in the future I will repair/ replace the wire. Or maybe just use the grill lighter. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Well, I couldn't help myself and dug into it a little more. It turns out the wire broke inside the rubber housing where it connects to the electrode in the burner. I had a whopping big arc off the end of the wire, but it wasn't getting to where it needed to be. I have a new one coming from PPL, but that piece of wire would buy a few grill lighters! In the process, I pulled the burner apart, which was a new adventure and discovered some tiny critter had taken up residence there. The burner still worked okay, but I bet it's better when cleaned out. Also got to check out the tiny orifice. I'll get after all these things with an air hose and try not to shoot the orifice across the garage! Thanks Raz and Darwin. I'll check back in a few days when I get the cable installed.
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote