Replacing pop-up fabric on a Hunter Compact II - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
Name: James
Trailer: Dakan Mountain
Replacing pop-up fabric on a Hunter Compact II

It's time to replace the fabric on the pop-up section of my Hunter Compact II. Can anyone offer any advice on how it's originally attached, and how best to remove and replace it?

Judging from the amateur stitching on the fabric that's on there now, I think this has been done before, and there may have been some alterations made along the way - so just looking at the way it is now may not really tell me how to do it right.

I've tried to search the old threads for information, but found nothing. If this has been discussed before, please send me a link to the previous thread.

James Einolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
I don't know the answer to your question but will be watching to see if someone does know how to do it properly.
someone had just replaced ours ( badly) when we got the trailer. Now the fabric doesn't tuck under the cap when dropped so it shows inside when the top is down. I'm going to have to redo that fairly soon since I suspect it may leak if it rains while we're driving

Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
My Compact Jr had the original vinyl when I bought it in 2004. The vinyl was in poor shape but we left it alone for several years. I removed it and took it to a shop that sews tops for Jeeps and power boats. They reproduced the vinyl and we've been very pleased with its fit and appearance. I used the original method of attachment when putting it on. There are 3 small bolts across the front and back and 6 bolts along both sides that pass through the vinyl and fiberglass and are fastened to nuts on the interior side. The lower seam was a very tight fit and took alot of pulling to get it in place. I also ran a bead of Liquid Nails chalk between the fiberglass and lower vinyl seam after the vinyl was in place, but I don't know if that was needed. We've never had any water or air leakage with the new vinyl.
1980 Bigfoot 17' & 1973 Compact Jr
Tom Trostel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
i replaced the "Vinyl" fabric on our hunter many years ago and my suggestion is that REI is your friend.

I used heavy duty coated rip stop fabric for the sides, mousquito netting in the "window" openings, and clear plastic inside for rain barriers, that could be rolled up and held with velcro when not needed, or unrolled and dropped down and held in place with velcro along the bottom.

Since the entire fabric sandwich was attached outside of the fiberglass lip, any rain that penetrated the netting would roll down the outside of the clear vinyl and drain outside the trailer.

Everything was purchased at REI.

Mike Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:41 AM   #5
Name: Teri
Trailer: Trails West Campster
I have a Trailswest Campster which is slightly different but has similarities. I am replacing the vinyl with double layer ripstop nylon that would be used in tent floors and mosquito netting.

The original was attached to the top with a staple gun and molding and on the bottom was in between the fiberglass lip and the wood frame for the lifting mechanism on the outside of the vinyl. I am not planning to reattach that way. I am planning to attach to the top of the wood frame with molding and to the top I think I will use velcro so I can easily access the mechanism from inside the trailer. I'll post how it goes when I get it done, sometime between now and my spring break.
teri85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
Name: Deborah
Trailer: Hunter Compact ii
Hello I have got a problem I hope someone can help. While camping I went to raise the top and the bolt (pin) came off. Rather than force it while on the road I waited to fix it now that I am home. But my problem is it does not seem to meet up. On the left side the bolt is in and in correct location. On the right it looks like the receiving end is 4 inches up. I am so confused and I don't want to do more damage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	top of Hunter 001.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	43605

Left side

Click image for larger version

Name:	top of Hunter 002.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	43606

right side