Old 09-27-2007, 09:13 PM   #15

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
The old-style connection, with the threads on the outside of the hose fitting, inside the tank fitting, and left-hand threaded is called "[b]POL". None have been made in the common 20-lb "barbecue" size for a long time, but other sizes of new tanks still use only this fitting, and many trailers (like mine) use it as well.

Flow limiting features to limit the effect of ruptured hoses, a safety valve which only allows flow when the connection is fully seated, and the Overfill Protection Device ([b]OPD) with its float to help prevent overfilling, are all extra safety features which are currently used. All U.S. portable tanks should have at least the OPD to meet national standards, but in Canada the level of equipment varies quite a bit, since the OPD is not required.
I have early [b]OPD valves fitted to [b]POL connectors on the tanks that came with my Fiber Stream. The date on the tank is "97". The manager at San Diego Metro KOA told me that I comply with the regulations, and most vendors will be able to fill the POL connection with a standard adapter fitting that is in the kit for the filling station, and the tanks are good for 12 years past the date on the tank. I have not had trouble getting propane once I point out the adapter fitting that must be used.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:15 PM   #16

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
Donna D.
How do you know so much?
Everywhere on this board you have GREAT answers.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:59 AM   #17

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
Quote:
So the only reason you would need a new pig tail is because you don't need a wrench to hook it up to the tank ?
Old style you need a wrench and the tank is out dated. Correct?
AS Brian said the new bottles have the new connection threads on the outside and the old style on the inside...I did get a new pig-tail, as your calling it, just so I didn't have to use a wrench to take on and off when empty.
New style bottle, baught at Wally*World for $19 here in Maine.
I now only have one more old style bottle on my property to exchange when that gets empty.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Old 09-28-2007, 12:44 PM   #18

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
...I think the last time I saw tanks for sale at Sam's they were close to $40.00 empty
That was a reasonable price around here until recently, but WalMart is cheaper (with no OPD), and Costco was (a few weeks ago) at $25 (with an OPD). My prices are in Canadian dollars, and were set when the C$ was worth less than now, so US prices should be even lower.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:50 PM   #19

Alberta
Quote:
My new BBQ propane tank has the treads on the outside of the fitting on the tank. My Scamp trailer tank has the treads on the inside of the fitting on the tank. SO I need a new pig tail and A NEW tank as far as I can tell. I may as well get a new regulator as long as I'am at it.
There's nothing wrong with getting fresh new equipment, but the tank should have both the inside and outside threads so you're not forced to change... if not, I would look for a better brand. My $25 Costco tanks have both.

Quote:
They will NOT fill the old style 20 lb tanks here. MUST HAVE THE NEW STYLE TANK FITTING.
I'm not sure if it is clear what "old" and "new" mean here. As Frederick mentioned, the "new" QCC (outside thread) fitting should not be a requirement (although it has been normal for a long time); in the U.S., the OPD should be required. A triangular shape of the valve knob is usually used to indicate an OPD. Some fill station attendants may take the QCC threads as the indication of the OPD - back to my earlier comment about training...
Old 09-29-2007, 04:56 PM   #20

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Here's a site with photos of the valve handles Brian mentioned.

I should also mention that there have been a number of reports of OPDs seeming to not work when turned on. What's apparently happening (happens with a friend's BBQ for sure) is that if the tank valve is turned on rapidly, the valve senses a full-flow condition, as if the hose was cut, and turns itself off. To keep this from happening, turn the valve on slowly (actually a good idea for any valved system).
Old 09-29-2007, 09:40 PM   #21

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
...........to 'reset' that valve, you need to invert the tank for a short time (no clue as to how long exactly) and then return it to its right side up.

I bought a used BBQ (used TWICE) from a large local home building center here a few years ago, when these tanks first came out. Someone had bought a new BBQ and tank (filled it), used it twice (2nd time it wouldn't light!!) and returned it saying it was faulty!! I spoke to the manager and offered to buy the offending unit from him for $75.00. He reluctantly agreed only because it would have taken considerable TIME to get a refund from the BBQ's manufacturer. I suspected I knew what the problem was, bought the Q, got it home, flipped the tank slowly, but it back upright and proceeded to fire the Q as if nothing had happened.

...'Sometimes' it pays NOT to be in a rush!!!!!
Old 09-30-2007, 03:49 PM   #22

Alberta
Quote:
...reports of OPDs seeming to not work when turned on.
... the valve senses a full-flow condition, as if the hose was cut, and turns itself off. To keep this from happening, turn the valve on slowly (actually a good idea for any valved system).
Good point, but just to clarify: this is not a function of the OPD. It is the flow rate limiter which is also part of the valve assembly. It is sometimes found in valve systems - particularly with QCC connections - which do not include an OPD. Since essentially all new tanks in the U.S. have had an OPD for years, it is easy to assume that this other new protective feature is an inherent part of the OPD - it's not, so it may happen even with non-OPD tanks.

I think the best plan is to buy tanks with all of the current features (QCC connection, cutoff valve which requires full engagement, flow limiter, OPD), and learn to expect all of the resulting quirks.

Tags
propane