Replacing propane tank - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2007, 08:40 PM   #21

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
...........to 'reset' that valve, you need to invert the tank for a short time (no clue as to how long exactly) and then return it to its right side up.

I bought a used BBQ (used TWICE) from a large local home building center here a few years ago, when these tanks first came out. Someone had bought a new BBQ and tank (filled it), used it twice (2nd time it wouldn't light!!) and returned it saying it was faulty!! I spoke to the manager and offered to buy the offending unit from him for $75.00. He reluctantly agreed only because it would have taken considerable TIME to get a refund from the BBQ's manufacturer. I suspected I knew what the problem was, bought the Q, got it home, flipped the tank slowly, but it back upright and proceeded to fire the Q as if nothing had happened.

...'Sometimes' it pays NOT to be in a rush!!!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:49 PM   #22

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...reports of OPDs seeming to not work when turned on.
... the valve senses a full-flow condition, as if the hose was cut, and turns itself off. To keep this from happening, turn the valve on slowly (actually a good idea for any valved system).
Good point, but just to clarify: this is not a function of the OPD. It is the flow rate limiter which is also part of the valve assembly. It is sometimes found in valve systems - particularly with QCC connections - which do not include an OPD. Since essentially all new tanks in the U.S. have had an OPD for years, it is easy to assume that this other new protective feature is an inherent part of the OPD - it's not, so it may happen even with non-OPD tanks.

I think the best plan is to buy tanks with all of the current features (QCC connection, cutoff valve which requires full engagement, flow limiter, OPD), and learn to expect all of the resulting quirks.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane