Replacing seam carpet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2006, 11:24 PM   #1

Trailer: Burro
Well today I finally tried to fix the previous owners attempt to replace the carpet on the seam I made the trip down to Home Depot selected a nice runner capret about 25" width and then selected a carpet glue then asked one of the guys standing in the pumpkin patch if it was the right stuff . He said oh no I know just what you need .....Liquid Nails FRP 300 (fiberglass panel glue ) after trying it out in a small area just as I tought NOT THE RIGHT STUFF . After being told Gorilla Glue , 3M sprayon 80, outdoor carpet glue, I selected DAP contact cement .Well its up and seems to be holding but I'm not happy with the way the carpet looks every bump or imperfection shows .
I guess I can wait to see if it falls then try again or just rip it down prep and reglue a different carpet that better hides the imperfections in the seam .
Or work on the cracks in the shell I hear bondo will work.
AbenDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:08 AM   #2

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I would definitely not use Gorilla Glue. It is designed to be runny so as to fill into all cracks. Then it foams to completely fill voids.

Works excellent for wood joints that don't fit tightly, but for your application, I think the adhesive you chose was a better choice.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:25 AM   #3

Trailer: 2003 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe and 1989 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Talking

I think that you will have better luck hiding the imperfections if you use the bubble type insulation under the carpet. The contact cement works fine but i suggest you try 3M super tack spray glue that you can get at most any auto parts store. I use it on upholstry when i built my street rods.

Harv in Colo.
Harvey Craft is offline   Reply With Quote