Replacing the center section of the front window rock guard - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2010, 11:36 PM   #1

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Massachusetts
Registry
Replacing the center section of the front window rock guard

I need to replace the center section of the window rock guard. I have no idea how to do this. I looked at it and I was able to remove the vertical pieces to turn the side sections around to look better. But does the hole frame come apart. I have a piece of Lexan? from home depot I can put in if I can get it apart. I just don't want to do more harm than good. Does anyone have some good pics on how to do this on my 1978 Trillium 4500? Thanks Randy
Attached Thumbnails
PB170072.JPG  
Gumpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:55 AM   #2

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
I do not have any pictures but mine was in poor shape when I got it. I completly disassembled it and inserted new panels in through the bottom before reassembly. you may not be able to do this as the way they are made is they use a small peice of angle that is wedged inside the corner where they meet and then they crimp them together. My corner peices were worn and broken (as many of them are). I drilled out the insert and made my own angle peice and then riveted it in after fully assembled.

If you can remove the vertical inside peices then you could try to squish everything one way or the other and then bend the new panel in like a cereal box top. If you can remove the exterior vertical peices then you shoud be able to remove the bottom and slide it in.

I do not know what I can use to tighten up the panels to the frames and keep them from rattling. if you have an idea let me know
Mike and Sarah K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Registry
I removed my panels to flip them inside out.
I took off the whole rock guard at the time which I thought might make things easier. The two vertical metal strips can be removed by unscrewing. The panels are wedged in with square plastic tube sections that can be pried out with a screwdriver - be careful mine were getting pretty brittle.
By using the squish method as outlined above I was able to get the panels back in without taking apart the outer frame.
Chris McVeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpit View Post
I need to replace the center section of the window rock guard. I have no idea how to do this. I looked at it and I was able to remove the vertical pieces to turn the side sections around to look better. But does the hole frame come apart. I have a piece of Lexan? from home depot I can put in if I can get it apart. I just don't want to do more harm than good. Does anyone have some good pics on how to do this on my 1978 Trillium 4500? Thanks Randy
No pics but I did replace two outer panels on a Trillium with lexan. If I remember correctly the frame is held together by small screws on the end pieces near the corners. I painted the lexan flat black on the inner surface before inserting them in the frame(contrast to rather than trying to match centre panel color), and used 5/16 or 8 mm clear air line to hold the lexan tightly in the frame. . The frame rails hide the hose and the hose prevents any rattle. The paint is protected because it is not exposed to outside.
Bill
Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote