Replacing the front window... Scamp 13' - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #29
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Originally Posted by Scott Thomson View Post
Thanks for the info on the tool Donna and Tom. Today, I was in the midst of replacing the deteriorating rubber on my 78, 13' Scamp. I checked this site and picked up some ideas from this thread. The most helpful today (without the lacing tool) was to keep it lubed-up with Armor All. I figured that I needed to spread the gasket before pushing the lock strip in place. I went thru my garage and shop, and my wife checked her kitchen utensils for something to use. I found that the end of a short crowbar had somewhat rounded edge surface which, when placed in the gasket, not only opened the rubber, but could adjust the spacing of the Plexiglas, if it was too tight. I then used a screwdriver to push the lock strip into place. Since I will do the front window also, I plan to wait until the lacing tool arrives.

I purchased the rubber at Scamp's Backus plant, when picking up our new cushions. The only "tip" I received that day, was to use a screwdriver to take the old lock strip out. Oh well, who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? I am still learning and enjoying myself as well.
If you are handy, you can make your own tool

Uhaul Side Windows

UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #30
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
WOW, did they ever.
Not just in appearance. 24' of trim and lockstrip was $57.60 in April, it is $72 now. Plus shipping of course.

Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #31
Name: Lesa
Trailer: Minit
Lockstrip and beading??

Ok. I am real confused.
I keep seeing Beading And Lockstrip mentioned.
However, i have no idea which is what. What is on our Minit is a wide rubber gasket that is shown on the left of this photo from Scamp.
Is that the Beading or the Lockstrip?
If it is the Lockstrip, what it is the beading and where does it go because there is nothing small like the one on the right.

Sorry if I sound like a complete moron but we are walking in to this job blind and are on a limited budget.
Attached Thumbnails
llco87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #32
Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
In your photo the part on the left is called "self sealing weatherstrip" as per's website. The part on the right is the lock strip. One groove of the weatherstrip goes over the trailer wall opening, the other groove is where the glass or plexiglass sets in. After all is in place you install the lock strip which expands the weatherstrip for it to fit tight against the glass and the trailer wall opening. I used liquid dish soap as a lubricant when installing the lock strip. Lisle tool has a lock strip tool with 4 interchangeable tips. EDIT, EDIT deleted the incorrect tool part #, the Lisle # is 47000, available at or an auto parts store may be able to get it. The weatherstrip is available with different groove widths for the glass and the wall.

mary and bob is online now   Reply With Quote