Replacing the front window... Scamp 13' - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #21

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There's a Perfect Fit here in Portland, Oregon. There's also one in Seattle, WA and Tukwila, WA. See the very bottom of this page: Upholstery Fabric, Wholesale and Discount Auto, Marine, and Furniture Upholstery Fabrics I guess those of us in the Pacific NorthWET are lucky

I know the Speedy Autoglass here in Portland also sells gasket and lockstrip material.....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #22

Name: Lesa
Trailer: Minit
Kansas
Thanks. I think I will contact the auto glass repair place and ask them if they can get it.
We are having the plexi cut at the glass shop.

Hope it's not real difficult to get it in. One end came out real easy...........when hubs accidently hit it with the end of the broom when he was sweeping inside.
Pretty sure that isn't the best way to remove it but what do I know. lol

Tomorrow is fiberglass sanding day.
llco87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #23

Name: Scott
Trailer: 1978 refurbished Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Does Scamp sell the "lacing tool" or is it available elsewhere?
Scott Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #24

Scott, Scamp doesn't sell the lockstrip tool. Check Amazon or Google for it. You may be able to get it locally.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #25

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Scott, Scamp doesn't sell the lockstrip tool. Check Amazon or Google for it. You may be able to get it locally.
Lisle LIS47000 Windshield Locking Strip Tool : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 06-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #26

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
FYI I just bought all the goods
Scamp has just changed their website and now sell beading and lockstrip together for $3.00 per foot plus shipping. I bought 24' for both front and back windows.
Tapes & Trims : Beading And Lockstrip For Plexiglas Window (Price Per Ft)
I got the Lockstrip tool in a couple of days for about $17 including shipping from JB Tools on ebay. Search the store for Lisle 47000.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Scamp has just changed their website .....
WOW, did they ever. Much improved!
Old 06-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #28

Name: Scott
Trailer: 1978 refurbished Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Thanks for the info on the tool Donna and Tom. Today, I was in the midst of replacing the deteriorating rubber on my 78, 13' Scamp. I checked this site and picked up some ideas from this thread. The most helpful today (without the lacing tool) was to keep it lubed-up with Armor All. I figured that I needed to spread the gasket before pushing the lock strip in place. I went thru my garage and shop, and my wife checked her kitchen utensils for something to use. I found that the end of a short crowbar had somewhat rounded edge surface which, when placed in the gasket, not only opened the rubber, but could adjust the spacing of the Plexiglas, if it was too tight. I then used a screwdriver to push the lock strip into place. Since I will do the front window also, I plan to wait until the lacing tool arrives.

I purchased the rubber at Scamp's Backus plant, when picking up our new cushions. The only "tip" I received that day, was to use a screwdriver to take the old lock strip out. Oh well, who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? I am still learning and enjoying myself as well.
Scott Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #29

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Thomson View Post
Thanks for the info on the tool Donna and Tom. Today, I was in the midst of replacing the deteriorating rubber on my 78, 13' Scamp. I checked this site and picked up some ideas from this thread. The most helpful today (without the lacing tool) was to keep it lubed-up with Armor All. I figured that I needed to spread the gasket before pushing the lock strip in place. I went thru my garage and shop, and my wife checked her kitchen utensils for something to use. I found that the end of a short crowbar had somewhat rounded edge surface which, when placed in the gasket, not only opened the rubber, but could adjust the spacing of the Plexiglas, if it was too tight. I then used a screwdriver to push the lock strip into place. Since I will do the front window also, I plan to wait until the lacing tool arrives.

I purchased the rubber at Scamp's Backus plant, when picking up our new cushions. The only "tip" I received that day, was to use a screwdriver to take the old lock strip out. Oh well, who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? I am still learning and enjoying myself as well.
If you are handy, you can make your own tool

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post294314
Old 06-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #30

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
WOW, did they ever.
Not just in appearance. 24' of trim and lockstrip was $57.60 in April, it is $72 now. Plus shipping of course.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #31

Name: Lesa
Trailer: Minit
Kansas
Lockstrip and beading??

Ok. I am real confused.
I keep seeing Beading And Lockstrip mentioned.
However, i have no idea which is what. What is on our Minit is a wide rubber gasket that is shown on the left of this photo from Scamp.
Is that the Beading or the Lockstrip?
If it is the Lockstrip, what it is the beading and where does it go because there is nothing small like the one on the right.

Sorry if I sound like a complete moron but we are walking in to this job blind and are on a limited budget.
Attached Thumbnails
gasket.jpg  
llco87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #32

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
In your photo the part on the left is called "self sealing weatherstrip" as per Perfectfit.com's website. The part on the right is the lock strip. One groove of the weatherstrip goes over the trailer wall opening, the other groove is where the glass or plexiglass sets in. After all is in place you install the lock strip which expands the weatherstrip for it to fit tight against the glass and the trailer wall opening. I used liquid dish soap as a lubricant when installing the lock strip. Lisle tool has a lock strip tool with 4 interchangeable tips. EDIT, EDIT deleted the incorrect tool part #, the Lisle # is 47000, available at Amazon.com or an auto parts store may be able to get it. The weatherstrip is available with different groove widths for the glass and the wall.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp