Replacing the interior walls - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-04-2011, 08:18 PM   #15

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Love Bug
South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin61 View Post
I am assuming your "love bug" is a small Boler? Correct me if I am wrong.

I am using these materials to redo the interior of a 17 ft. Boler. If your trailer is a smaller 13' ft Boler then you could possibly use these types of materials, minus the thicker strips of insulation.

Insulation test patch on walls of trailer - YouTube
Thanks for posting the video. I really enjoyed it, as did my husband. This rennovation will be quite a learning experience for both of us and everyone at this forum has been so very helpful!

lisa

Old 10-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #16

South Carolina
Registry
These are some interior shots of the camper. The last one is where I cleaned just a bit of her on the outside to see what she looked like under all that crud.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCI1871.jpg   DSCI1875.jpg  

DSCI1889.jpg  

Old 10-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #17

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Lisa
Go to Lowes or HD and get some Jo-Max house cleaner, bleach and a small deck sprayer. I have used it on both the inside and outside of trailers like yours. Jomax will save a lot of elbow grease. If you spray the inside made sure you have plenty of ventilation.
Eddie
Old 10-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #18

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Registry
Congratuations Lisa,
I suggest you consider using a boat hull cleaner to save yourself a lot of trouble (such as: Boat Hull & Bottom Cleaner - iboats.com). You just won't beleive how easy it can be to scrape the nasty stains and gummy stuff with such products. Rubbing too hard may actually damage your exterior finish. From the few clues I can get on your picture, It looks like you are on the original gelcoat, not on paint. Gelcoat will fade and turn dull and yellowish, but it can be cleaned and repolished for much better results and for a much lower cost than paint. Have a look ad the following link for inspiration on restoring the shine on your baby.

Restoring the Shine to Fiberglass by Don Casey
Old 10-06-2011, 08:28 PM   #19

South Carolina
Registry
oooh! Lots of good information in that article. Thanks! I also sent my husband a link to the article so he could read it. He has a boat and would probably be interested in this, too.

lisa
Old 12-18-2011, 07:38 PM   #20

Name: Celeste
Trailer: 1977 13' Scamp
NY
Hi,

I'm in a similar situation: I just came home a few days ago with a 1977 Scamp. The interior foam is coming off, sagging, and is really dirty. It has been moldy, so I do feel like the only thing to do it to remove the old interior materials, give the whole thing a really good cleaning with hot, soapy bleachy water, and then put up a new interior. I search on foam-backed vinyl and found lots of websites that sell that by the yard, at 54" wide. The websites I looked at were marine websites, so this is a material that people use in boats. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this sort of material?

Here is a link to one of the websites with this type of material:
All Vinyl Fabrics - Marine Vinyl
Old 12-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Name: Robert
Trailer: Nest Caravans
Oregon
Registry
With several renovated trailers under my belt (including a 1973 Love Bug now under way), I would advise you to strip off the old Ensolite right down to the bone. You don't want to be around any of that old nasty stuff!

Then, after prepping your "nude" fiberglass walls properly, do what all the modern manufacturers are doing: "rat fur" (or some other appropriate hull-liner style fabric) over a proper insulation. The fabric will hide a multitude of fiberglass irregularities...

This is the simplest and visually "cleanest" restoration solution.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Look for a headliner material you like. It comes in 72 inch widths which you need to have a minimum of seams.
I just finished redoing the interior of a 13' Bigfoot.
I striped the interior down to the insulation and after doing a lot of thinking I had an upholstery shop do the interior.
I like rat fur, but there's no West Coast distributor so I had to buy it from Scamp.
There price was competitive with other products but the freight was more than the rat fur.
The Bigfoot has a high density foam insulation about 3/8 of an inch thick that I was able leave.
You may want to try to do the same when you remove the ensolite because your going to need some insulation under whatever you use.
Good luck,
John
Old 12-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #23

South Carolina
Registry
My husband managed to get all of the ensolite out of our camper, and it's stripped down to the fiberglass right now. He's removed the windows and has cut out the bad parts of the flooring and is preparing to replace those next. There was no underlining under the ensolite, though.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:53 AM   #24

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisasgirl View Post
There was no underlining under the ensolite, though.
The closed-cell foam of the ensolite IS the insulation. If you replace it with some other wall covering, you'll need to first put in the insulation. Reflectix is a popular choice: Shop Reflectix 25' x 48" Double Reflective Insulation at Lowes.com=.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #25

South Carolina
Registry
okay, gotcha. I had a difficult time visualizing a textured fabric on the wall over the ensolite. I'm not sure that's something I would like. I like the look of a smooth wall, like the ensolite had, sans black mold. :-)
lisa
Old 12-27-2011, 11:43 PM   #26

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Please don't throw out any of the larger intact peices of Ensolite. Every year some member is looking for some to patch theirs. The mold can be cleaned and stopped.

You can see the before and after pictures of mine here:
Restoring Our 1972 Boler American